Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bone in

Options
daveshannon
daveshannon Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
 ,ve been cooking my butts sense midnight,and it,s now9.30 am.i want to add some bone in chicken breast.how long should i let them cook.my egg is at 250 degrees

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I have never smoked chicken breast before, smoked small chickens and wings. If there is skin on them expect that part to come out pretty rubbery. Don't cook to time, but pull at 165 temp on breast and 185 or so on dark meat. Note, expect some red/blood looking spots in the chicken, but it will be cooked. Just a side effect of smoking chicken. Not to pleasing to the eye.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    I would guessvaround 2 hrs or so to get to 165 temp. Just a guess though at 250 degree egg temp.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the color from smoke will only be an exterior ring, if any.  smoke doesn't color the inside of the meat.   that color at the joints is from fast-growing chickens whose bones are not properly matured.  it's just marrow leaching at the joints.  there's really no blood to be had in any amount in our meats (beef, pork, chicken, etc.)  
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    True, but whenever I smoke there is always that red internal that never seems to be there when cooked at 350+  No issue, just some people see it and think the chicken isn't cook - even though it really is.