Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's with wings ?

Options
fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
 I've never done these together so I need some pointers.
 These will be done on an Xl ; maybe 2 racks so there will be a lot of grease. For this reason I'm thinking indirect.
 The few times I've done ABT's I did them at 250 for 2 hrs.
 350-400 ID seems to work good for wings.
 So what temp is this combo best at ?

Comments

• fairchase
    Options
    Bump. plan on doing this on 1/29

Thanks
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Disclaimer-I have a LBGE so don't have the "floor space" that you have:)  That said, I do ABT's and wings raised grid direct at around 350*F on the dome-each takes about an hour+/-.  I would guess you can get decent elevation above the lump. If space is an issue, I would cook the ABT's over the wings-figure the bacon flavor will only enhance your wings. FWIW and since it's free....regardless, it will be "all good".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fairchase
    Options
    Since your going 350 direct would 400 indirect be to hot ?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Actually with the workings of the BGE 400 indirect is not much different than 350 direct...the platesetter or whatever device you use for the indirect setup results in the dome (gauge) temp reading around 20-40*F higher than the actual grid temp-when indirect.  The indirect setup will definitely reduce/eliminate any grease flareups as you mention-go with whatever you are comfortable with and I'm sure it will turn out just fine.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do 400 direct raised for both cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fairchase
    Options
    I do 400 direct raised for both cooks.
    How long will the abt's take at 400 ?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Apologize for the rookie question, but what are ABTs?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Atomic buffalo turds.....Cream cheese, some rub, meat-stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapeños.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    @Chubs Atomic Buffalo Turds - Stuffed jalapeno peppers, wrapped in bacon. Here is a link to the recipe. The peppers become sweeter the longer they cook.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.