Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my Thermapen today!

Options
chill243
chill243 Posts: 131
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I looks great!  I spoke with a fellow 'chef' who doesn't own a BGE or a thermapen and he was really jealous.  My husband uses devices like this (the tech) to measure temp degrees for inside paper machine dryers.  This is a high piece of tech.  Tx to all who told me to buy one (I'll beit the marked down one)

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    On my birthday list.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    How much is the thermapen.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Sale going on now for "open box", refurbished, etc. for $69.  Retail rate is $89, I think.  Well worth it.

I got one a couple of days ago, because mine wore out.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    I take it they have a web site to order.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale.html

Mine arrived yesterday.  Other than the "open box item" stickers, I wouldn't have known they were open box, if I hadn't ordered them as open box.
  • joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I bought mine too. $75 with shipping. One thing I didn't notice until I received it is that it's made for right handed people. All of us lefties either need to use the wrong hand or read the thermometer upside down.  :-h
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Got a pink one "for the wife" ; ) . I broke her digital thermometer and so have back-filled now with a pink one that she can use for her cakes (and I can use with our Egg!). BTW, my coffee this morning checks in a 144.3F!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I've lost mine to the kitchen after my wife saw how good it is.  She thinks she can make pralines now.  She said I can borrow it when I cook on the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I got mine on sale too.  It was a bit distracting with tenths bouncing around, so I opened it up and flipped the switch to read in whole degrees. 

I'm going to heat up some oil and retest my Egg's thremometer and 250* and 300*.  It looked close on the  boiling water test, but things seem to take longer than expected on the Egg so this will give me better test points.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I bought mine too. $75 with shipping. One thing I didn't notice until I received it is that it's made for right handed people. All of us lefties either need to use the wrong hand or read the thermometer upside down.  :-h

It's the world we live in friend ... like to see a right hander have to use a left handed model of anything!

Sometimes I forget that I'm left handed ... ;o

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited February 2012
    Options

It's the world we live in friend ... like to see a right hander have to use a left handed model of anything!

Amen.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options

Even though I'm a righty, I have some left handed screw drivers I use all the time. 
    :))
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    You're just too funny ..... I-)
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • medic119
    Options
    I just ordered two of them myself.  I thought my catering partner would like one.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Got mine a week ago. Just a superior product. Thanks to all the eggers who recommended it.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• travisstrick
    Options
    I left mine outside in the rain all night. It still worked and only had a little moisture inside the display. It dried right out after a few hours in the house.

Great product. Highly recommend.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.