Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cook time boston butt BGE vs WSM

Options
martyh
martyh Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Pork
Just got my BGE and plan to smoke a boston butt ( 8 lbs) for the superbowl. I am familiar with WSM, but wanted to switch as the WSM is too much maintenance for a long cook. My usual cook times on the WSM were 10 to 12 hrs at 250. Many of the posts here seem to indicated  the BGE cook time of 16 to 20 hrs. Is the cooking time due to the difffernce in technologies or am i missing something?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No the cook time should be about the same. Shoulder should be more moist and you will get it cooked on one load of lump is where the difference is.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• martyh
    Options
    Thanks Little Steven, but just so I'm clear are you saying 10 to 12 hrs on BGE should work. I hate to have it ready after the game is over.
  • Little Steven
    Options

You can never tell with butts. The important thing to remember is that the dome therm is higher in the egg and grid temp can be substantially lower. Most aim for an early finish and hold in a cooler wrapped in foil. I honestly don't remember where the thermo is in the WSM but I seem to remember it being in the middle of the chamber?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    check the therm before the cook in boiling water, 250 dome gets me a 7 to 8 pound boneless butt around 14 hours. at 10 hours you can increase and decrease temps for timing. i like to get it down a few hours early and let it rest wrapped in foil in a beer cooler, makes planning alot easier if the cook goes longer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • martyh
    Options
    cool. thanks. I'll just give myself plenty of lead time and use a cooler.
  • Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options
    I am not an expert, and I'm also trying to be helpful, not a smart aleck, but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter what kind of smoker - a steady temp of 250 will cook the piece of meat in the same amount of time no matter what is doing the cooking.  That said, the temp gauges on either your WSM or your BGE could be off (or both) and I strongly recommend you calibrate your BGE temp gauge before you cook.  Mine was 100 degrees off and many others have had similar experiences.  I would also recommend you plan for hte longer cook, that way if you hit your target temp (mine is usually 195-200) earlier, you just take it off, double wrap it in foil, wrap in a towel and throw it in a cooler for a few hours.  I think that makes it better anyway. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I am not an expert, and I'm also trying to be helpful, not a smart aleck, but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter what kind of smoker - a steady temp of 250 will cook the piece of meat in the same amount of time no matter what is doing the cooking.  That said, the temp gauges on either your WSM or your BGE could be off (or both) and I strongly recommend you calibrate your BGE temp gauge before you cook.  Mine was 100 degrees off and many others have had similar experiences.  I would also recommend you plan for hte longer cook, that way if you hit your target temp (mine is usually 195-200) earlier, you just take it off, double wrap it in foil, wrap in a towel and throw it in a cooler for a few hours.  I think that makes it better anyway. 
    the problem between cookers is gage placement, in an egg, 250 dome is not 250 at the cooking level, more like 225. watersmokers are different to, its just over 212 just above the water pan, you can get a reading of 300 at top, but where then meat sits it may be 250 depending on the design of the smoker.
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Came to LBGE after a water smoker (not WSM) and finished the first low&slows well behind the predicted time/temp based on prior experience.  Fortunately then read about the indirect cooking temp offset (yes, my dome temp gauge was calibrated) and never any issues since.  As fishlessman says, factor around 20-40*F temperature difference between dome and grid (dome higher) when cooking indirect and you will be right on track. Obviously, the longer the dome is shut the closer the temps will approach each other.  And FWIW I usually see around 1.8-2.2 hrs/lb for boston butts at 250*F(+/-) on the dome to the easy bone pull temp of 195-205.  You can speed things up-search "fast pulled prok" to finish the cook much sooner.  Welcome!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options

@fishlessman

What's the difference tween a beer cooler and regular one?

:D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options

@fishlessman

What's the difference tween a beer cooler and regular one?

:D
    dont know, never bought the other one to compare
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• GrillerGreg
    Options
    How do you calibrate the dome thermometer?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Hold the tip in boiling water for one minute.  It should read 220.  If not, use the nut on the back side to adjust.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Should have said 212 not 220.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys