Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining question??

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to try and brine a chicken that I am planning on spatchcocking. I have never brined anything before. My questions??

1. Will it make much difference in a spatchcocked chicken?
2. Any simple brine mixtures you recommend?

Thanks for any help.
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I can not comment on if brinning will make a difference on the spatch-cocked chicken or not but here is a very good basic brine that works well. I have used it with great success in the past for chicken and pork on my weber. Haven't brined anything for the egg just because everything is so moist without brinning. You can add garlic, spices whatever you like to this brine.

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1 quart water

Some people get the water hot to make mixing the ingredients easier, I do not. Just remember if you do get the solution hot you will need to cool it down to 40 degrees before putting the chicken in it
  • Gato
    Options
    Thanks mike8it. Think I will give it a try. Hopefully this weekend
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • rbm4017
    rbm4017 Posts: 25
    Options

I agree with the recipie listed above.  You don't need to get the water hot to mix everything together, the Kosher Salt will easily disolve.  I would recommend soaking the chicken in the brine solution at least 8hrs or so.  Make sure the whole chicken is covered completely.

• JerkChicken
    Options
    You must rinse off the brine before cooking or it will be too salty!

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • genwmull
    Options
    You must rinse off the brine before cooking or it will be too salty!

Thank you for adding that comment JerkChicken......saved me from a butt chewing from my wife.  I wouldn't have washed it.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Gato

Why don't you cook two chickens - brine one and just season the other and compare?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Gato
    Options
    Thanks x 2 for the rinse off tip. Might not have done that either.

Good idea grannyx4. Have you done the experiment already? Results?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I just did it with pork loin roasts. Brined one with kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic, sage, and peppercorns. The other just rubbed with seasoning. We liked the brined one better.

I am planning on doing it with chicken just as soon as I can get the husband off his beef kick. It seems every meal he wants cow on his plate.
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    Options
    After you rinse do you add a rub or other seasoning(BGE,Dizzy Pig,etc)?
  • grannynanny
    Options
    Watch the length of time you brine and make sure that you read the package that your chicken came in.  Most chickens now have already been enhanced with a solution that is salt based.  I like to brine but for only about two hours or so.  It really works well on thighs.  I use less salt only 1/4 cup of regular table salt and 1/4 cup of plain white sugar and garlic for a different flavor.  Make sure you rinse before smoking.  Really like bacon wrapped boneless chicken thighs.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited January 2012
    Options
    After you rinse do you add a rub or other seasoning(BGE,Dizzy Pig,etc)?
    Yes, rinse off the brine, as it has already served it's purpose anyways. Dry the bird completely, then add your seasonings however you like.

Another tip is to run your finger up between the skin and flesh, careful not to tear the skin, and apply rub/seasonings under the skin as well. With some practice you will be able to apply seasoning under most of the breast, drums and thigh skin. A light coating of evoo on the outside will help crisp the skin. Others suggest a light brushing of corn starch. Briefly cooking breast side down towards the beginning or end of the cook will also help with crispier skin if you are cooking direct. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • dunnharr
    Options
    My guide says to brine a whole chicken four hours to overnight.  I did a whole pork loin and the recipe said from at least 12 to 24 hours.  Definitely rinse well, pat dry, and season as you normally would, but with less salt.
  • Gato
    Options
    Quick update, and I didn't take pictures so I know this may not have happened. Brined a whole chicken in about a gallon of water with 1 cup kosher salt,1/2 cup sugar, a little garlic and celery. Just mixed it all together without heating it. Brined it about 5 hours, rinsed, patted dry, rubbed just a touch of oil on skin, and seasoned with lemon pepper. Spatchcocked cook on a raised direct setup took right at 48 minutes. It was great! Very moist. I have to believe the brining did make a difference. Thanks for the help and guidance...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Gato,

Sounds good. I'm brining mine Monday. One will be brined and one will be rubbed for a side by side test to see if brining makes a difference. More later.......
  • Gato
    Options
    Can't wait to hear the results.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Gato, pay attention to what grannynanny said and read the food labels before you brine.  Both prepackaged chicken and pork tenderloins are already packed in a salt solution.  Brining those will just make the meat mealy...and definitely not a good eat.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gato
    Options
    Thanks Austin Egghead. I had forgot about that and meant to look on the packaging. It turned out great though, eating leftovers as we speak. Tastes just as good cold as it did last night, maybe better...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I wet brined one chicken in water, sugar, kosher salt, and pink salt for 24 hours. Rinsed and air dried in fridge. Second chicken was dry salt brined with kosher salt, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Rinsed and back in fridge to air dry. I'm going to cook them direct, 400, raised grate. More later on the outcome......
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    The result is both chickens were very moist however, we prefered the brined. It had a lot more flavor but was a little salty. I think it needed more than a rinse and might have needed a little soak. The brined chicken also looked like a Better Homes and Garden chicken - pretty good...
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Granny. Any reason you added the pink salt? I would think that might be overkill

• Gato
    Options
    Nice, thanks for sharing the info. Were the chickens packaged in a solution as you mentioned earlier?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    JC, it was in my new cookbook and I wanted to see what it was like. It needs a little soaking. The heavy salt taste was mostly close to the skin and closer to the bone was just right.

Cato, I don't think they had any solution. I checked the packaging but sometimes the old eyes fail me.
  • Gato
    Options
    Yes I forgot to check the packaging also, really wasn't even thinking about it. But I will say it was some of the best chicken thats come of my egg.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Yep, they are good and I really like them but the husband is a cow and baked potato kinda man. So now I have lots of leftover chicken for the freezer for when I can't face another moo on the plate.
  • Gato
    Options
    Can't fault a man for that in my book!
    Geaux Tigers!!!