Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5lb pork loin

sawtooth
sawtooth Posts: 6
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm  new at the BGE and I need help with doing a 5lb boneless pork loin. The questions I have are as follows:

Do I cook indirect or direct?

What dome temp?

What internal meat temp? 

What is the preferred method of prep, i. e. rubs.

With this size piece  of meat I expect it will take some time to complete.

Thanks you all for your support I have learned a great deal from this forum. 

Comments

• i usually do mine indirect at 350.  almost the same way you would cook it in the oven inside.  Garlic, salt, pepper, cook to 145 internal. do a search on this thing. or look in the recipes section. 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I do mine direct on a raised grid at 375...also cook to 145.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I do just like stevesails except I drizzle honey on top during the last 30 minutes.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• honey.. im going to try that. 

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I just took mine off the egg. Raise grate - 350 cooked to 140. The cook took a little over a hour. I brined one and spiced the other. Brined was better in our opinion. Honey with some OJ is good too.

82 today, picked strawberries at the u-pick and egged dinner. All is good.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30
    Just did a 4.5 to 5 pound pork loin this past week end. Used a typical BBQ rub andmarinated over night. Used plate setter with legs up and drip pan on plate setter. Grill on legs and meat on grill. Dome temp at 300 for about 2 hours. Internal meat temp to 150. I had cut the loin in half before marinating. I took the meat off the grill at 2 hours then wrapped in foil and let set on top of the stove inside for about 30 min. Opened the foil and sliced the loins. Potato salad and baked beans and fork tender loin steaks. Best ever.
  • 82 and picking strawberries.  guess we might have some fresh ones in the store in michigan soon.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Score the fat side and ties for uniform shape & thickness.  Use a Simon and Garfunkle rub (parsley, sage, rosemary, and time) with mashed garlic, salt & pepper.  Cook at 350 indirect to a temp of 150 - 155.  Remove from grill and tent with foil, letting the loin rest for 15 minutes or so.  Slice thin (about an eighth of an inch) and forget about using knives at the table -- this is fork tender, flavorful, and juicy.