Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow with BB's

Options
fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
  I tried my first low and slow with the egg tonight. 2 slabs of baby backs. One was rubbed down with dizzy dust and the other with red eye express.
 I started my fire ,pushed a chunk of apple down into the lump ,  put the plate setter in legs up , placed a 1 x 17 x 11 1/2" drip pan on and filled it with hot water and a glug of apple juice. I put the grid in and clipped my maverick probe 1" above the grid. I stabalized the egg at 250 for about an hour before adding the ribs.
 At 2 1/2 hrs. I put on some abt's , and put more water in the drip pan ; as it was almost dry.
 At 3 hrs I sprayed the ribs with apple juice , foiled them , and right back on
 At 4 hrs I unfoiled the ribs , and right back on.
 At 4 1/2 hrs raise temp to 375 and sauced 1/2 of each rack.
 5 hrs pulled ribs and abt's.
 I never thought that regulating temperature could be so easy. After stabilizing the egg I never touched the vents and it held 250 dome spot on the whole time until I raised the temp at the end.

The ribs and abt's were great !  My taste buds couldn't tell much difference between the 2 rubs.

The only issue I had was the drip pan . 2 hrs was all I could get without running it dry. Is there anything that can be done about this so water doesn't have to be added every 2 hrs ?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I just use the drip pan to catch drips. I don't use any water. The only time I add moisture is during the foil stage, when I splash in some apple juice.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • fairchase
    Options
     Without water the drippings turn into a black lava looking stinky mess. I was afraid this would give the food a bad taste.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You're right, burning fat drippings leave a bad taste in your food.  The problem is you sat the drip pan directly on the platesetter.

Elevate the drip pan off the platesetter by using rocks, balls of foil, an old grid, whatever.  That platesetter, because it is exposed directly to the fire, gets really hot. If you put a pan of liquid directly on it it will quickly be boiled out. 

I have smaller grid from an old Brinkman smoker that fits perfectly inside the platesetter legs and gets the pan off the platesetter, if only by a 1/4" or so.  That's enough.

I start out my rib cooks with some apple juice diluted with water.  The pan will be no more than 1/3 full.  I never have to refill it.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I use 3 pennies in each corner of the drip to keep it elevated and
    always wrap the plate setter and line the drip pan with aluminum foil
    which makes clean up easy. This keeps the drippings from burning and liquid could be added if you so desire.
  • fairchase
    Options
    I knew that, but with all the new information I totally forgot. Thanks for refreshing my memory. I will stick my 3 egg feet under the pan next time.