Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frist Attempt @ Grinding Burgers

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Sorry about that teaser shot from yesterday, i was just so excited. I’ve been dying to use my meat grinder ever since I got it for Christmas, but things have been busy around here and I just haven’t had the time. When Mrs. G told me yesterday that she wanted a burger for dinner, I knew it was on! Time to break out the grinder and get to grinding!

I started out with 3.34lbs of chuck and 1.08 lbs of skirt steak. I figure that's roughly a 75/25% blend of meat. Don't ask me why, that skirt was just begging to go home and jump in the grinder with the chuck. I ground all the meat up and most of it went into the freezer for another day, but saved out enough to make two patties. That was a tasty burger. Maybe not the perfect burger, guess I'll just have to keep trying other blends to see what I can come up with.

The rest of the story can be found http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/first-attempt-home-ground-hamburgers/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    That looks great . Let me no when you do it again I will invite myself.
  • Griffin
    Sure thing, just bring beer.

Rowlett, Texas

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    That's a deal!!!
  • Griffin - here's a link to some "Egg-speriments" I did w/ grinding burger, using different cuts of meat & different ratios:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1139436

You'll see how the family rated them according to taste. Since obviously different ppl have different tastes, you may or may not like the same mixture I did, but hopefully this can give you some more ideas to "Egg-speriment" with!!

Best of luck - and let us know what mixture & ratio you like the best!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    best thing about burgers you grind at home is you can more safely cook them to rare, instead of having to massacre the things
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    How much of that Wild Turkey did you mix in with the ground beef, love that stuff!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin

Rob - I remember reading that when you posted it and reviewed it yesterday as well.

Stike - yep, cook them to whatever temp you want.

Choke - the Turkey goes in the cook, not in the meal.

;)

Rowlett, Texas

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    That looks good, been thinking of buying the meat grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid. Not sure how good it is.    
  • My Kitchenaid works great. Also get the sausage stuffer attachments

LET'S EAT
  • thinking of buying the meat grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid
    beats the heck out of doing it by hand crank... you will find it is a far cry from the commercial ones and will require some cleaning and probably frustration when the silver skin get all wrapped up. BUT for the price (considering you already own the KitchenAid)you cant go wrong....
  • stike
    edited January 2012
    you should trim silver skin if you can, and cube and maybe even chill the meat.  but the KA works fine for 5 to even 10 pound batches.

@flamethrower... i would skip the sausage stuffer attachment if you haven't gotten it yet.  waste of cash.  grinder's fine, but that stuffer is a multi-person job and takes literally an hour to do what my newer stuffer does in ten minutes.  i ended up getting a 5-pound dakotah stuffer.

it's hydraulic.  turn the faucet as open as you need to get it going. it can be made to go even TOO fast.

• IrishDevl
    What is silver skin?  That oily looking thing in chuck meat?  
  • silver skin is the tough connective tissue.... stike is right it should be trimmed off, i was in a hurry and didnt... last time i ground meat i was spending my spring break working in the meat dept. of a grocery store that had a grinder that would grind up a buick. we chucked everything in it 8))
  • IrishDevl
    I bought my father-in-law the 5lb. Dakota stuffer for X-Mas.  Haven't used it yet, but can't wait to give it a try (and very possibly pick one up as well).  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

My Kitchenaid stuffer works great and will make 10' of sausage in 5 minutes or less.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

My Kitchenaid stuffer works great and will make 10' of sausage in 5 minutes or less.

By yourself?
  • stike
    and using that useless jammer dealio to cram the meat into the funnel?
    i can't see that...  if you can manage that, please pst a vid showing how.  i don't know anyone with the KA stuffer who has made it work (easily)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yeah by myself. Once you get it down to counter level to support it its simple. You still use the spinner insert that you use for grinding meat to feed the meat through once ground. I just put alot on the top of the plastic part and push it through with the feeder. Not sure how anyone has had an issue this is the only sausage stuffer I have ever used and it's always came out good.
  • Rob,

I, too, have read and re-read your grinding ratio experiment - that was one hell of a post.
    I love my egg.