Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal to small

Options
bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well, I have gone thru a couple bags of BGE charcoal, and found that on both, 1/2 of the charcoal was about the size of a large marble or less.

When I put this in the Egg, I had a hard time getting it to heat up, because I think the small pieces were closing off the vents to much. Any other brand of hardwood charcoal that would not have these small pieces? I know that some will get broken in shipment, but 1/2 the bag like this twice  is unacceptable.

Comments

• genwmull
    Options
    I use Royal Oak and it has worked pretty good so far.  There are small pieces but not what you are talking about.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i use the chips and smaller bits on top.  sure, down below on the grate they can choke airflow, but not when up on top of the whole lump bed
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • floatingbuzzard
    Options

I am new to the forum, and have only had my egg since mid December.  My first bag of lump was a off brand from my dealer.  He said it was the same as the BGE brand.  Grill went out twice on me on my first two extened 250 degree cooks and had to add coal.

I read about execessive ash, stopped up air holes, and proper fire starting.  Noticed 90% of the lump in my bag was quarter size and stoped up my air holes when I added it to the grill.  I Bought a bag of Royal Oak at my Walmart and noticed immediately it was larger pieces.  Ran out of it and my next bag I bought BGE brand.  It is the best I have used, and I got results that were in line with what everone else said was normal. 

Had a 6 hr cook this weekend, I loaded up almost to the top of the fire ring and had plenty left over for another cook.

I am sticking with BGE lump for now. 

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • stike
    Options
    R/O is made by BGE, fwiw
  • floatingbuzzard
    Options

Did not know that.  I had no trouble with the Royal Oak, but it was only available in small bags locally.  I am only saying that all lump may be black and burn, but I was very discouraged with my fires until I got some lump that was of decent size. 

Love the forum by the way.  I have gotten more than my share of great info without ever opening my mouth, or typing as the case may be.  I believe it is the forum that truly makes the BGE great.  Where else can you get so much support for a product of any kind.

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    @stike
    BGE is made by Royal Oak...fwiw
  • stike
    Options
    yeah.  what i meant
    thx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Ozark Oak is real good.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.