Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guess what I found in my first bag of Big Green Egg lump ?

Options
fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
 I guess Big Green Egg lump is like cracker jacks. You never know what prize your going to get.
Being a newbe here and having used only 2 bags of lump being royal oak I decided to open up the bag of Big Green Egg lump given to me when I got my egg.
 I dumped it out on a large piece of cardboard in the yard to have a look and sort it out. After sorting through it a bit ; what the heck!  there it was a piece of fiberglass insulation about the size of my hand. I've heard of foreign matter in lump , but insulation !
 Kinda makes fretting over the rutland gasket seem kinda frivolous.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not uncommon.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I used to sort out my lump also and build the fire very carefully.  It got to be too much work, so I stopped and now just give a few stirs of the old lump, clean out the ashes at the bottom, then dump in the new lump from the bag.  Works fine except that you need to keep an eye out for rocks or any other debris that might be in the bag.  Never found  insulation and any rocks eventually get taken out when I do a thorough cleaning about twice/year.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    In the old days raisins and dates, especially from Turkey, use to contain stones, nails, hair, rat **** etc. and that was product that was supposedly meant for human consumption, a little insulation in charcoal doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Gerhard
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I often find bricks in the charcoal - after a cook just sitting in the ashes of the egg.  Never insulation though.  
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I've heard lots of stories of insulation.  It's probably insulation from the kiln that comes loose and gets into the charcoal when they unload.  Not a big deal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    Options
    And the boss of the kiln is saying "If you bastards can't drive a loader better than that, get off it!  You are tearing the hell outta my kiln!  LOL
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The worst thing I ever found in a bag of RO was an unidentifiable piece of plastic.  It was unidentifiable because it was stuck like glue to the side of my fire box.  Damn thing ruined the potato casserole I was doing and took two high temp cleaning burns to stop smelling.  I've found lots of rocks, metal and glass.

Mike
    Omaha, NE  

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I found a tootsie roll wrapper in a bag of Western lump once.  Can't blame a man for wanting a tootsie roll....
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    Options
    I was having trouble finding Royal Oak charcoal. Plenty of Big Green Egg but no RO. So, I called their headquarters in Georgia and inquired as to where I could find their product. They told me that Kroger brand, Publix brand, Target brand, and of course, BGE brand, is Royal Oak charcoal. The customer rep said that Walmart sells RO in the original red bag. Unfortunately, not all Walmarts sell it because i've never seen it in the one in our town.