Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time using a dutch oven Questions.....

Options
impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Making chili today and just got a dutch oven.  What temp should I keep the egg at?  Also, should i put it right on the grill or put it on an inverted plate setter? thanks.  Any other tips are also appreciated!! 

Comments

• docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I use cast quite a bit, but not all in my egg. I use the grate with red brick holding the pot up higher. I do not use the place setter for cast cooking. Depending on what I am cooking and what stage of the cook determines the temp. For searing before making soup and stew, I like to use 500 or so in the cast, or over open coals. After that , I like 250 for finishing, it produces the best slow simmer in cast for me. I use a 4qt dutch oven and an 8 qt soup pot. Either has plenty of room left over on my big.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    start at 300 and increase or decrease temps to hold the simmer. different setups are different for temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it