Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed with first multicook

Options
fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Were having about 15 people over for a party next weekend. Pulled pork , chicken quarters , and some ABT's are what I'm thinking.
Here is how I'm thinking about doing this. After I pull the butts to ftc I will pull the plate setter and raise the grid , and raise the temp to 400 for the chicken quarters.
Now  should I cook the abt's ( 1st attempt at these by the way)  the last hour or so with the butts indirect at 250 and make them wait a couple hours before company arrives ; or cook them with the chicken direct at 400 ?

Comments

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If I were doing that same cook, I'd cook the chicken and ABTs at the same time. Chicken on bottom and ABTs on a raised grid above the chicken so they're not cooking fully direct.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    That's a lot of grease, chicken and bacon at 400 degrees, especially at your first attempt.  If you are doing the typical smoked sausage abt, the ingredients except the bacon are already edible, so it might be easier to cook the bacon and make up the abt's the day before.  Then, reheat in the egg above the chicken.  Or at a minimum, partially cook the bacon to reduce the fat dripping in the egg.  More than likely, you'll need to make the abts right after the partial bacon cook, bacon may get stiff.   I don't think you'll miss much in flavor doing them the day before......lot's of flavors going on in an abt......

t  

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
     How long can  abt's be kept warm without a decline in quality ? If so what would be the best way to keep them warm ?
  • Philicious
    Options
    Stupid question, but what are ABTs?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Atomic Buffalo Turds, also called poppers by more civilized people (of which I am not)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious