Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Party for 6, what to do....

mwraulst
mwraulst Posts: 131
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hosting a casual dinner party for the neighborhood tonight. We have six people coming and i need some ideas. One is a vegan, i'll likely have to prepare her's separate, but would still like to do it on the egg.

Suggestions, recipes, thoughts, all appreciated

Comments

• How about pizzas.  Have the toppings all ready and the guests can make their own.  The vegan can do all the bell pepper, onion, sauce, cheese, etc.  and the normal people can put on the pepperonis, sausage, hamburger, etc. 

Once they have built their pizza, you can cook them on the Egg.

Since it's casual, and not a sit down dinner, it shouldn't matter for the pizzas to be done and different times.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "normal people"
    wahahahaha

hahaha
    +10 pts
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I was about to say the same thing "Normal People"

Thats Classic!!!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Vegans won't put on cheese. I understand there is pseudo-cheese, but good quality olive oil makes a fine base for pizza.

Otherwise, marinated portobello caps, or half squashes roasted w. oil and sugar and herbs are good.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i think i read something about sugar being out too.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    looks like animal bone is in the refining process for refined sugars, also just found that wine and beer is out for some, something about using isinglass from a cows stomach as a clarifying agent. me thinks there are alot of wannabee vegans not meeting the cut
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
     are your friends doing it to live longer, i read today that heavey drinkers outlive non drinkers :))my sister was a chicken and fish eating vegetarian
    fukahwee maine

• mwraulst
    yeah, she told me she wasn't in to "processed oils" either. I'm guessing she only eats nuts and berries. Excellent idea on the pizza, i have pine nuts, pesto, and hummus at home with plenty of veggies, she'll be fine. Well she'll be fine as long as she doesn't freak when i throw the meat lovers on after her's is done.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i still vote "failure".
    not really.

christ, seriously? she's bitching about honey?
    no bee keeper has ever removed more honey from a hive than the bees could live without.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2012

OP,

If you do this recipe with paneer(Indian cottage cheese) instead of chicken, and the carnivores with chicken you will be good to go. Serve with basmati rice

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=974160&catid=1

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Sorry, Didn't see the tonight part

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• To all you vegans... If god didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them taste so good?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    You mean he didn't right after he flipped the sunlight switch on? What am I missing here?
  • @Tweev - I've been dying to make that Chicken Tikki Masala since I got my egg. That looks fantastic thanks for sharing.

Question: Did you use any food coloring on the chix or is that the result of just the peppers? And did you make the Naan to go with it!? I've seen some cool posts on the web about Naan on the pizza stone.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Last time we had vegans included I did some portobello mushrooms on the grill.  The loved them.  Lots of recipes out there.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    @jerk....naan is better grilled directly than on a stone.....here is a great recipe.

2 tsp active dry yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 cup warm water
    12 cup plain yogurt, wished until smooth
    2 T vegetable oil
    2 cup all purpose flour or bread flour
    1.5 tsp salt

Flour for dusting
    Melted butter or ghee for basting

Dissolve yeast no sugar in rm water and set aside until frothy, about 5 minutes. Mix in yogurt and oil. Either by hand or in a mixer, mix flour, salt, with the wet mixture for a coupe minutes until all ingredients are smooth and well incorporated. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in a warm place until it doubles in volume, 3-4 hours.

Divide dough into 6 or 8 pieces. Oil hands and press dough down to 3/4 inch thick free form piece. Grill until dough is set and shows grill marks. Turn and grill other side. Transfer naan to platter ad brush ghee onto hot naan....serve.
  • Proper vegans don't do dairy products .Nor do they wear leather or silk.  It's a bit of a challange when they are on the guest list.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • fishlessman
    FORM ONE CRUST, ADD SLICED MOZZ, SAUCE, SLICED VEGAN. cook at 450 raised grid inderect.... that is easy.... vegan pizza
    fukahwee maine

• mwraulst
    Did pizzas, turned out great. Also made a dish i highly recommend, even the non vegans loved it. Its basically Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) , blanched kale, roasted butternot squash, and a nice vinegarette. To make, cook the quinoa as directed, strain. Blanch the kale, set on ice to preserve green color, peel/cube and roast squash on bge. 350 for 20 min. Combine and toss with vinegarette, salt and pepper to taste.