Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to do a raised grate without the plate setter

Options
bigearl
bigearl Posts: 25
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've seen a configuration with a raised grate (but without the plate setter), used to do direct cooking, but without flare ups, etc.  Any clue on how to do this?  is it just bricks in there on top of the fire ring?

huh?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Big Earl, that's my photo and you are correct, all I did was take some firebricks, cut them in half and rest them on the fire ring, then place the grate on the bricks.  If you can find "splits" (if you are desperate, Ace Hardware sells them for an obscene price of something like $3 a brick) then splits are only half as thick as the regular bricks and will fit up against the walls of the cooker better.

Another option is here:

Those are just galvanized bolts, nuts and large washers. (Yes, it is ok to use galvanized hardware.) Here is a link to some instructions: Making a Raised Grid

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Naked Whiz, Did you use the same size grill or a little smaller one? And do the bolts sit directly on the fire ring?
    LET'S EAT
  • bigearl
    Options
    thanks naked whiz...  I cannot wait to try your spatch cook chicken recipe....  I got an egg for Christmas and my wife's been on my to do a beer can chicken.  I read your post the other night and I'm already convinced your way is THE way!!!
    huh?
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Flamethrower, that is a standard BGE porcelain grill (8 years ago or so.)  The heads of the bolts just sit on the fire ring.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Thanks
    LET'S EAT
  • bigearl
    Options
    Bought three landscaping bricks (about 2x4x6) for $.58 each- worked perfect for spatch cooked chicken.

Naked whiz- don't think I'll do whole chicken any other way.
    huh?
  • arango1
    arango1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks! I just went into my garage and found 3 half pavers left over from my driveway project.  Much cheaper than buying a rig (although I may get one someday).
  • JayHawkEye
    Options

I just made a raised grid that sits directly on the original grid. It's the same basic design as the galvanized nuts/bolts pic, but with another set of washers and nuts at the bottom end of the bolt to stop it from going through the bottom grid. (Does that make sense?) So not only is it a raised grid, but it's a tiered grid when need be. (And I have enought washers and nuts and an extra grate to make it 3 levels for LOTS of ribs!)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    JayHawkEye, yep, it makes sense.  I've seen some folks do that.  Post a photo so everyone can see exactly how you did it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited January 2012
    Options

Here's another version of the landscaping bricks on my med egg.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL