Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Stir-fry on the BGE

Options
tfoutch
tfoutch Posts: 76
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

This thing is great for stir-fry.  The spided down, lots of hot coals.  Lower vent OFF.  No bad flames, easy and quick to do. 

Is there anything this EGG can't do?

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/tfoutch/2012-01-19_18-32-18_436.jpg

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Looks great tfoutch. I ordered the spider & wok yesterday. Hopefully Monday night I'll have a stir fry report. Where did you get your recipe?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• tfoutch
    Options

Read about twenty, then kinda made up the rest.  It's pretty easy.  I think next time, I'll cook individual portions, and let the kids choose what that want in.  My seven year old tasted it, looked at me, gave me a thumbs-up, and exclamed "Dad, you are awsome!"  He had seconds.

• bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Options
    Is the big BGE grill the right size for stir fry?  Does the spider and wok come in certain sizes for certain BGE?  Where did you order your spider and wok? 

Thanks,
    Phil
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Look up "ceramic grill store".

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    Bamafan62: I have a wok for both my large and one for my mini. The one for my mini I ordered from a store in San Francisco. Works great for doing small cooks for two.  Jer
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The Wok Shop

Be sure to view their video on seasoning.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tfoutch
    Options

I have had this carbon steel wok for a long time.  Have used it a few times on my gas cooktop and was never happy with the results.  Can't seem to get it hot like the pros.

That is NOT a problem with it sitting so close to the coals.  You have to be ready with your stuff, and keep it moving.  A really quick cook. I think cooking smaller portions instead of filling the wok makes it eaiser to keep stiring without flipping your stuff out on the fire.

I am not a wok expert, but am very happy with the way this all worked out. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
     I think cooking smaller portions instead of filling the wok makes it eaiser to keep stiring without flipping your stuff out on the fire

Many recipes call for splitting your volume down to small sizes and cooking in batches (especially the meat).  Otherwise, the oil cools down too much and the benefits of the stir fry are lost.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options

Gary I told my wife you were cooking in Salado. She is also a fan of your water system and your Galveston pictures. Now knowing you are cooking Chinese she is smitten. So be ready to talk a lot about that water system.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I look forward to it, Mickey ! 

I'll bring her some water.  It won the National Water Tasting Contest in Virginia (purified water division).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bamafan62
    Options
    Hi Jer,

I have a mini.  Do you know the name of the store where you purchased your mini?

Thank You,
    Phil
  • Jer_inva
    Options

Bamafan:

Here is the link: http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/woks_mini.html

Like Village Idiot says, be sure to view their video on seasoning. I also have the mini woo which works great. Not sure just what size wok I bought, I think I got the 9.5" one.

Jer

• bamafan62
    Options
    Hi Jer,

I also have the 9.5 mini BGE..  Thanks again!  There are just the two of us and this sounds like the perfect set up!

Phil
  • Jer_inva
    Options
    bamafan, my wok is the 9.5". My mini is the 10" model. The wok fits nicely inside the egg and with the handle is easier to use than doing stir fry inside my large, which I also have the setup to do. My goal this year is to develop better wok cooking skills. Some great threads on here to help one out.  Jer
  • bamafan62
    Options
    I guess I am out of luck due to the 91/2" egg.  I was really looking forward trying this.  We spend 6 months away from home.  We plan on carrying the mini with up this summer.

I appreciate your help.

Phil
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I feel as though I am missing a serious part of stir fry cooking. Fast? Oil? super hot coals? 
    benefits of the stir fry? Yea, I think so. Must learn more.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.