Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

difference between large and x large

Options
jscarfo
jscarfo Posts: 405
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
i just came back from austin texas, i was visiting my brother in law.  he has a x large egg he bought 3 years ago. because of him i got a large egg last oct. i cooked on his a couple of times while i was there. the first cook was steaks, the second was spatchcock chickens. the different things i noticed was his got up to temp faster than my large using the same startup i was surprised how quick. i keep my airways very clear he didnt touch his. i use wicked weekend warrior he uses royal oak. also he never gets those flash backs no matter how hot his fire is, i tried showing him by opening it quicker just a big role of smoke came out.i even closed it down and lifted it. my eyebrows would be gone on my egg. his gasket is perfect so theres no air leak, any thoughts?  i think im gonna try the royal oak next, start there..

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It's the fire grate on the xl. It's huge and the holes are bigger. The ash and small bits of lump fall through on their own

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfo
    Options
    i just got a  high que grate in the mail yesterday, looking foreward to trying it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet I can make an XL flashback, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • jscarfo
    Options
    i thought i could do it on his, it wouldnt do it he was looking at me like i was crazy
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    Along with the advice above consider Wicked lump for the most part is more dense than RO so it can be a slower start to get up to temps. I use Fire King which is also a dense lump and it usually take me longer to get up to temp than when I use RO.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have definitely noticed my Wicked lump takes longer to get going but also burns much longer than BGE or Royal Oak. I have started putting a little of the RO on top of the Wicked to help with "warming time." Best of both worlds and RO is really cheap here in NC.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options

Question to Naked Whiz. I am not a Wicked user but find myself down to 3 bags of lump and all are Wicked. I was thinking it was takeing longer to get to temp (have High Ques in all eggs) but it must be me. Now with this post is there anything to this Wicked being harder or just taking longer to get to temp? Have been on Ozark Oak and BGE lump for the past 5 years.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I would appreciate the opinion of other (in addition to Naked Whiz) experienced users on Mickey's question.  Seems like a lot of people use Wicked for long cooks only.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Mickey, I assume you mean the Weekend Warrior blend?  I understand some people still have stashes of Competition Blend kept in secret underground bunkers in West Virginia......

The WW blend wasn't too hard to light and the fire did spread relatively quickly.  I don't time and compare all the brands, but my judgement was that it did spread relatively quickly.
    The Naked Whiz