Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Grates

Irrivirsible
Irrivirsible Posts: 14
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone use these on the EGG?  

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Is this what you are asking about?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Love mine. They work as advertised.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    What's the benefit of this? Looks interesting.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I use mine all the time. No flare ups, easy to clean, awesome grill marks, mostly nonstick, and food like fish won't fall through the grid. Pretty versatile. I can easily recommend it and their customer service is top notch as well. Nice extra to have in my Egg arsenal.

Check out their website.

http://www.grillgrate.com/

• Oh man!  One more must-have doo-dad.  This egg is eating me alive.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I have a set of them unused if anyone wants them...I'm not sure of the details exactly, or what they are worth. I'll check at home later or in the morning, but send me a message if you're interested and we can work something out...they're just sitting around here, so I'm open to giving someone a deal.....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mighty_Quinn we sure think the same on many things.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm guessing that's a good thing Mickey
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    No flare-ups on the egg if you will leave the lid closed!  
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Agree w/ Tftouch - leaving the lid closed on the Egg won't allow flareups (and you'll only get them if you open the Egg to "peek" or perhaps to flip your food).

Not sure I see the "need" for something like the Grill Grate on an Egg (I just personally think it's superfluous), but if the folks who have them like them, then more power to ya!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited January 2012

As my post above clearly says, GrillGrates does a lot more than just flareups. Of course the Egg when closed stops flareups (ummm common knowledge to anyone who owns one), but there are times when I grill I don't close the lid.

To the OP:  I actually own the product, use it a lot and I love it.  Good luck with your decision.

• Heck, the vast majority of the accessories people buy for the Egg isn't a "need", but a want.  That is one of the key reasons I love the Egg.  Buying toys that I don't really need for it, but makes it more enjoyable.  I believe you can't have too many BBQ/Egg toys.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited January 2012
    Dude, take a chill pill, alright... I wasn't attacking you or your "need" (want) regarding the Grill Grate. I was ONLY offering a differing opinion.

As far as your reasons for liking the Grill Grate, you stated that it:

"No flare ups, easy to clean, awesome grill marks, mostly nonstick, and food like fish won't fall through the grid."

Aside from the fish falling through the stock BGE grid, all your other claims are already handled by the stock BGE cooking surface - no flareups (if you keep the lid closed), easy to clean (the grid can be cleaned w/ a rolled up ball of aluminum foil, or a grill brush), awesome grill marks (can get those by placing a smaller grid right over top of the coals), mostly nonstick (PAM works wonders for that)...

As far as doing fish - I do most of my fish on a cedar plank, but w/out that, wouldn't this offer the same results (but for MUCH less $$): http://www.amazon.com/06051X-Premium-Triple-Non-Stick-Basket/dp/B001BVVSH6/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1326910019&sr=1-1

Or even this: http://www.amazon.com/06032X-Platinum-Prestige-Stainless-Topper/dp/B00008DHPC/ref=pd_sim_hg_6

All I'm saying is that there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, and as my signature shows, I try to find what works for me & be adaptable.

There's folks who SWEAR by the expensive raised grid setups, but I found I can get the same results from a couple firebricks & an additional $10 grid from a big box store.

For those folks who might be looking for ways to get similar results @ a cheaper price, there ARE alternatives, which is what I provided. For those where $$ isn't an issue or factor, they can spend $40-100 (depending on size) on Grill Grates.

As I said, if you're happy w/ it, more power to ya!! (but the OP should know he can get similar results using cheaper products just by thinking outside the box a little bit).

That's ALL I was trying to do...

Happy days!!
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited January 2012

OK.

You have a good day also.