Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you could only pick one... Thermopen or Maverick?

Options
JerkChicken
JerkChicken Posts: 551
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Why?
LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well.  they do different things. 

only one? thermapen.  why? i don't need a leave in thermometer because i know (for example) that a rib roast at 250 isn't going to hit 125 anytime soon.  but i'll ALWAYS need to know when to pull it off
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That's tough because to me they serve two different purposes.  I use the Maverick on long cooks like butts, brisket and prime rib and the Thermapen more for grilling steaks and chops.  If I had to choose one it would be the Thermapen I guess, but I'm glad I have both.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    thermapen, reasons: what stike said and steaks. A "leave in" doesn't work well for steaks.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If you do alot of low and slow especially overnight, get the mav. If you do more chicken, steaks etc. get the thermapen. You will eventually end up with both anyway.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options

I wanted a good instant read and a remote setup but didn't want to spend $90+ on just the Thermopen, so I bough the Maverick 732, then got an instant read made by Thermoworks (same company that makes the Thermo Pen) but I got one with a 6 second read time instead of 3 seconds, which cost $24 on Amazon.  So for $75 total I have decent but not best instant read and the Maverick remote monitoring. I'm at work so I'm not sure of the exact model.

Frank

• JerkChicken
    Options

I wanted a good instant read and a remote setup but didn't want to spend $90+ on just the Thermopen, so I bough the Maverick 732, then got an instant read made by Thermoworks (same company that makes the Thermo Pen) but I got one with a 6 second read time instead of 3 seconds, which cost $24 on Amazon.  So for $75 total I have decent but not best instant read and the Maverick remote monitoring. I'm at work so I'm not sure of the exact model.

Frank

I like that idea
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In answer to your question if only one:Thermopen
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    What Mickey said.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    if your not cooking brisket and or pulled pork a thermapen, if you are cooking pulled pork and brisket and everything else....both. maverick is for monitoring your cook as it cooks, thermapens are for finding temps to pull the food from the grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    Options
    EASY: themapen.
    The themapen you'll use for almost every cook you do.
    The maverick is designed for low and slow cooks only.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Village Idiot
    Options
    For the low and slow, a Stoker or Guru is the only way to go, in my opinion.  Controlling vs. reporting makes a vast difference, especially when cooking overnight.  Before I got my Stoker, I used a Maverick with a remote, and found that unless I had the remote unit in the nearest room to the Egg, it was out of range.  I bet I wasn't more than 30 feet from the Egg.  This was true with the two Mavericks I had.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I have both for the reasons stated above ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    go to thermapen website and add yourself to their email list. They do "open box" sales twice a year and notify those on their email list. DO NOT email them asking for refurb thermapens, the open box sales are the only way to get them. They also give away a free one every month, may be worth it, may not be.
  • upnsmoke
    Options
    got both and a digi q but if i had to choose one.... hands down it is the thermapen... i do have others by therma works from the infrared to the combo... yes there are some cheaper and made by the same company, i spent a multiple of what the thermapen cost trying to save a few buck....

• Flamethrower
    Options

My Thermopen was just delivered by Fedex this morning,Cant wait to use it.NO MORE DIALS!!!!!!

LET'S EAT
  • genwmull
    Options
    Got a Maverick 732 for the low and slow cooks and a 6 second $19 Thermoworks for the steaks and chops.  Just couldn't spend the extra money for a thermapen.  They both seam to work great so far.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN