Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Bucket

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I would share my ash bucket with you and see if there were any improvements or better ideas you folks are using.

Found my buckets at Lowe's, the large one with lid ($14-$15) was with the trash barrels, the smaller one ($7-$8) was in the paint department.

BucketA.jpg

The holes in the smaller bucket are 5/32". These are small and require some effort to sift out the charcoal but the waste is minimal and the ash clean enough to scatter on the lawn or plantings. I had a small grinding disk (about 2 1/2") that went in the drill to clean up any burs and sharp edges left by the drill bit.

BucketB.jpg

The piece of broken paver in the bottom of the large bucket just brings the lip of the smaller one up to about the same level as the large and gives a little head space between them for the ash to collect in.

BucketC.jpg

The only thing I might want to change is the size of the holes, a little larger might sift with less effort and the pieces of charcoal passed through it would not be that much bigger.

This set up will fit under the edge of my nested medium BGE, clean outs are pretty easy and reclaimed charcoal goes back in the egg. :)

Gator

Comments