Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forum

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited January 2012 in Root
New to the forum and excited about it. Purchased a LBGE and have cooked a handful of items the first week. Tonight I am going with Beer can chicken. Will eventually try spatchcock but going with beer can tonight. Any suggestions? I was expected roughly an hour to hour and fifteen at 350 for a four pound bird. What temps should I aim for and any advice on a good thermometer to purchase would be great. Look forward to sharing the results.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

Your time estimate is good-go with raised grid if you can.  Basically get the cooking surface up around the gasket line.  Fire bricks or cans can get the elevation.  I was a beer can chix cooker prior to BGE.  Once I tried spatchcock, I've never looked back.  Easier and less mess but to each his own.  Instant read thermo-the instrument of choice is a thermopen from thermoworks...a bit pricy but great for the fast cooks.  For the low&slows most perfer the Maverick ET -732 but any good remote will work.

Here's a spatchcok chix link (recipe section)-and lots more good info:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Welcome and enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Welcome to your new obsession. I'd say ditch the beer can and go  for the spatch ****. It's way easier than it may sound. In fact, I'd venture to say it's easier than beer can chix with better results. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • bigearl
    bigearl Posts: 25
    Options
    So ready to try this myself. Was gonna try beer can method, but I like the sound of this better.
    huh?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

So, the beer can chicken went pretty well. I coated it in EVOO and then used a BGE rub on the chicken and inside the cavity. I also tossed some onions and garlic cloves inside the cavity of the bird for a little extra flavor. Inside the can, I added some small slices of butter along with the beer.

I cooked it for about an hour an 10 minutes at 350 and it came out perfectly. The only thing I need to try to avoid going forward is losing precious juice when checking the temp on the bird. My wife is pregnant so I checked it multiple times to make sure it was done. This means holes for the juices to escape, hence the original post regarding a good thermometer I could buy (with a small pen).

All in all, I would say it was very good for my first one on the egg. Still very juicy and my family loved it. I think I will go with Spatchcock next time though. Thanks for the comments and I believe you will be seeing a lot of me.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chubbs, I reuse the same hole, FWIW.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @Chubbs-thanks for the follow-up and glad it went well.  This BGE cooking adventure can be quite habit forming.  Hopefully all the cooks exceed your wife's expectations so she won't mind your new distraction:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.