Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Turkey Breast-should meat be pink

Options
jannwj
jannwj Posts: 6
edited January 2012 in Poultry
We just cooked a 5.5 bone in turkey breast on the plate setter and horizontal rack. We cooked it at 300 for about 2 hours. The thermometer says 160 degrees and the pop up thermometer popped and the juices are clear. However, some of the meat is pink looking although it tasted cooked. Is this normal?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah, it can still be pink.  just like beef, chicken and turkey can be cooked to temps that would have freaked out your grandmother.  your turkey is going to be much more moist from a ceramic cooker, and you are pulling it at temps that are sort of 'medium' as far as turkey goes, rather than 'well done'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jannwj
    Options
    Thanks. I thought we had pulled it too soon.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Where is the pink? Outside or near the bone? If it's outside it's the smoke

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jannwj
    Options
    More to the outside than inside.
  • jannwj
    Options
    wow. That answers some questions I didn't know I had :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yeah if it were undercooked it would be pink on the inside nearest the bones. You just got a little smoke action going on there. Next time you are at the grocery store look at the most expensive smoked turkey and you will see the pink.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it's the outside, you need to ask yourself... how could the INSIDE be done and the OUTSIDE be raw?

even a microwave can't cook from the inside out

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

My first 10# breast was pulled and tented @ 160*. 2.5 hrs at 350*. Sooo moist.

For years I prided myself on smoked turkey I did on a gas masterbuilt smoker. This first one on our new BGE as we ate my wife said "I hate to tell you this ,but this one is so much better".

Everything is better on an Egg.

Going on a pilgramage to the JJ Boston store near Indy this weekend.

MY egg is like another child.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI