Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Chicken - First Try

joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have been seeing a few posts about spatchcock chicken on here lately and I decided to try it tonight.  I found an old recipe (circa 2003) from the old BGE Forum that sounded good so here we go.

The recipe calls for orange and pineapple juice, onion, garlic, brown sugar and salt for a brine.  The original recipe calls for a one hour brine period prior to the cook, which is how long I did mine.  The original recipe called for Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin rub.  I cooked direct at 350* dome until the breasts were 175*.

Final result - it turned out very good.  Moist and very tasty with the Dizzy Pig rub.  I think when I do this again, I am going to brine for a longer period of time and maybe add a shot of soy sauce to the brine as well.

Spatchcock Chicken in brine:

On the grill:

A good local wheat beer:

Off the grill (Sorry...I forgot to take a pic whole - I already cut the legs and thighs off)    :D

·

Comments

• One of my family's favorites.  Welcome.
    ·
  • Schlafly make some great beers.
    ·
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    this looks so good - nice cook - thanks for the photos

mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,759
    Great looking bird. Spatchcock is my go to method now.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    edited January 2012

Thanks for the feedback.

Great looking bird. Spatchcock is my go to method now.

I have tried several whole chicken cooks (beer can, chicken roasters, etc), and I too am now a spatchcock fan!  :D

·
  • hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    Love the spatchcock chicken.  I do mine on a raised grid just to keep the meat from getting too charred.  Looks like yours turned out great - enjoy
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    Love the spatchcock chicken.  I do mine on a raised grid just to keep the meat from getting too charred.  Looks like yours turned out great - enjoy

Yep - good idea...I did this on my medium and I don't have a raised grid setup for it.  Next time I'll do it on my large where I have a two tier rack.

·