Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Chiminea

Options
Dfrost
Dfrost Posts: 13
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any folks have one of these. I have seen some still available and I have been looking for a outdoor fireplace anyway and I love my egg so I figured it's worth a shot I ask. If you have one, what do you like about them? Cooked on them? How long you have had it?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Have one. Not bad, but could be better. A little small, and the collar on the opening restricts the view of the fire to whomever is sitting in front of it.

It'll weather winter well, because it's of the same ceramics as the Bge. So unlike the terra cotta chimineas that fall apart due to freeze/thaw, it will just keep chugging

You can take the flue off and add a grate to cook, but i've done that only a handful of times.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dfrost
    Options
    Does it take the place of a fire pit? Or outdoor fireplace ? I am really looking for something that I can sit out by and keep warm on the cool winter nights here in the south and enjoy the stars and a cigar after dinner.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    we sit around it, but again, anyone off to the side by a couple feet won't see the fire.  can't see the fire, can't feel the fire's heat, except for the heat off the chiminea.  which is ok, but not like direct radiant heat from the fire itself
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dfrost
    Options
    Sounding more like I should just get the fire pit.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I had an old terra cotta chimenea and it would not keep you warm for sure. Maybe by giving it the old bear hug. Much rather sit around my fire pit to keep warm.
    Geaux Tigers!!!