Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

opinion please - boston butt help

gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
4.7 lb boston butt cooked at 250 for 8.25 hrs...thermometer read 165.  I didn't believe it, so I stuck in another themometer and it read 170. 

I bumped up to 285 for 1.25 hrs and now one thermometer reads 190 and the other 175.

surely 9.5 hours of 250 and greater cooking is about right, don't you think?

what say you?

Comments

• bluegrasstiger
    bluegrasstiger Posts: 145
    edited January 2012
    Will the bone pull out easily? If so, it's ready to come off.  If you're using multiple thermometers I guess you're using inexpensive ones?  I've thrown away a bunch of them because the temps can be all over the place.

I use the meat probe with my Maverick exclusively now and pull it off the grill when it gets to 195.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    smaller butts still need to go thru the plateau.  they may be quick to the front end of the plateau, and quick to hit 200 after they come out, but the plateau is a phase change, and it is what it is
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    I'd get a pot of boiling water going to see which thermometer is correct.
    Packerland, Wisconsin