Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the differnce between these?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited January 2012 in Pork
I saw these mixed together at Costco today.  Other than the labels, they looked the same to me.

Next question is, can I cook these more or less the same way I cooked the bone-in rack of pork Costco carries during the holidays?  i.e. coat them with my rub, and cook indirect at about 250F for a couple hours to 145F?

Comments

• I'm with you, they totally look the same, and that label says "pork shoulder"?  However, there is a one dollar difference per pound. Looks like a deal to me.

I would say to do them the exact same way.  Looks like some good eggin' to me.

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Looks like the person packing them used the wrong label.
  • Obviously, they mislabled the ones marked "country style ribs".  Country style boneless ribs don't look like pork loins.
    The Naked Whiz
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    If I were you I believe that I would buy three of the ones labeled country ribs - cook one today and put the other two in the freezer. 
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Stock up with the meat and then invite some friends over for a meal
    Large, small, and a mini
  • njl
    If only I had the freezer space.  I'm tempted to go back and see if they at least still have one of the cheaper ones.  That'd be almost as good as the 8lb beef tenderloin marked 5lbs. :)
  • njl
    I drove back to Costco this evening, and all the lower priced bonelsss loins were gone :(  Most of the higher priced ones were too.  I didn't feel like cooking 8lbs of pork if it wasn't a deal, so I didn't get one.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Looks like the person packing them used the wrong label.

+1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • njl
    edited January 2012
    Well...I finally went ahead and bought one of these.  No mislabeled ones this week...so I paid full price, though on sale, it was only about $15 for 6.25 lbs.

It wasn't quite what I thought it was.  For some reason, I thought these were a wide piece of meat folded in half on the shorter dimension...but they're actually a long thin piece of meat, folded in half on the long dimension, scored on the fold so they fold nicely.  So it's about twice as long as the bone-in rack of pork after unfolding.  I was torn on how to cook it.  I figured if I left it tied up, it'd take a lot longer to cook than the rack of pork...so I ended up cutting it on the score, and made two boneless loin sections out of it.

imageimageimageimage

I'll be cooking these tomorrow, most likely at about 250F indirect with the platsetter and a drip pan...maybe with some water in it this time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    its possible for loin and country rib to be the same, country ribs were origionally cut from the country loin roast which is the smaller end of the loin, there is more flavor in the country loin, a darker meat than a center cut top loin. butchers usually grind the cut because its fattier, i like the cut and buy it often. when i find it there is a small section of back ribs a ttached with a riblet section cut off on the side, the riblets make a great snack
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it