Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Altitude cooking temps.

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've seen on other posts about subtracting 1 degree for every 500 ft. in elevation. So boiling water at sea level is 212 and at 5,000 ft. would be 202. If I'm pulling meat off at 125 at sea level, does that mean I'd pull it off at 115 at 5,000 ft? Or is 125 at sea level and 125 at 5,000 ft. the same temp. If temp. is the same would it just cook to 125 faster at the higher altitude?

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    we're talking about the boiling point of water....for meat, altitude doesn't matter...125 is 125. I live at 6000' and I don't notice a difference in cooking times.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I quess I'll have to get another egg for the mountain home!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.