Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuckie over the weekend

Options
mazaman
mazaman Posts: 17
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally got to posting last w/e's chuckie.  3 lb'er that I rubbed overnight with an Oklahoma brisket rub that I got out of Barbecue USA.

Smoked for 225 for about 8 hours, with hickory chunks.  Foiled at 165 with SoCo and apple cider.  Cooked to 195 and then let rest for an hour before slicing.

Chuckie 165
Chuckie at 165

Chucky190.jpg Chuckie 195

Finished chuckie

This was my first intermediate smoke on the egg and I thought it went well.  Egg performed well - temperatures held stable for the whole 8 hours, so that was a pleasure.  The only problem is that I can no longer use tending the fire as an excuse to get out of the w/e honey do's. The meat was tender and moist.  I need to work on placing the hickory chunks better though as the smoke gave out a little after an hour. I didn't really get the kind of smoke ring and smoke flavor that I'm used to, but it was still a very good.

Chuckie plated

Comments

• Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options
    That looks really good.  Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this, is that a chuck roast?  It looks like sliced brisket, does it hav ea similar taste?
  • mazaman
    mazaman Posts: 17
    Options
    Yeh that's a chuck roast.  I find the taste similar, especially if you use your brisket rub, but I think the texture is a bit different.  Probably has to do with the cooking time and the differences in the amount of connective tissue between the two cuts.  Still at 8 hours, you can start it when you get up and have it for dinner that day.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Still at 8 hours, you can start it when you get up and have it for dinner that day.

But...you're still over 2 1/2 hours/lb with your 3 lber. Don't get me wrong, i want to eat it...it looks delicious, but you can do briskets (flats anyway) or pork butts in one day too at that weight.
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    I have a 3lb chuck roast that I'm planning to do tomorrow...my first chuck roast.  Does it normally take longer than pork butt?

I am planning to cook with same set up as a butt, but at about 300 degree grate...was thinking I could do it in a little over an hour per pound.