Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attemp at low and slow

walleyv
walleyv Posts: 147
edited January 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I just put a 8 lbs chuck roast on my XL BGE for my first low and slow cook.  I can't wait until this thing is ready.  It's going to be a great lunch tomorrow!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Take that bad boy up to at least 200 internal and give a nice rest in foil afterward and it will be outstanding!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• walleyv
    Sounds great and we can't wait. The BGE is holding at 260 for now but my only concern is it's 25 degrees now and it's going to get to about 20 in the morning. I do not have a remote thermometer yet so should I get up through the night to check on it?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited January 2012
    Cold won't affect the egg.  If it were me, I'd probably check it during the night. Good luck.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Sounds great and we can't wait. The BGE is holding at 260 for now but my only concern is it's 25 degrees now and it's going to get to about 20 in the morning. I do not have a remote thermometer yet so should I get up through the night to check on it?
    How did everything work out?
  • walleyv
    The roast has been on for just over 13 hours.  When I got up this morning the temp in the bge was 260 with a internal meat temp of 166.  I wonder if I should bump the temp up a little?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    You could if you were in a hurry. If you're not, just let it go, it's just doing it's thing. You're in the internal temp area where it's going to move slowly for a while. Once it gets in the 80's, it will fly up to 200.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• walleyv
    The roast turned out great.  It stayed on for 15 hours and I would have put a pic on here of it buy before I could take one everybody was eating it and now there is none left.  I guess thats a sign of a successful cook.