Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Time Egg User - Need Advise on First Meal

06TechGrad06TechGrad Posts: 5
edited January 2012 in Root

First off, I am happy to join the BGE community! I just bought a large BGE this week and will be using it for the first time tomorrow night.

I would like to cook a whole chicken and was hoping y'all could help me out with a good recipe. I found one on the BGE website, but was hoping that y'all could also provide a recipe(s).

Also, any other advise for my first use.

Thanks!

·

Comments

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Spatchcock chicken...it is a right of passage for a first cook!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707

+1 on the spatchcock chix.  In a prior life (BBGE- before Big Green Egg), I used to cook beer can chix all the time-one time with a spatchcock chix and have never looked back.  Easier, less mess, more flavor...

On a related note-I recall seeing where it is suggested that you keep your first couple of cooks at less than nuclear temps-nothing more than 350-400*F on the dome but don't have a reference.  Welcome and enjoy the journey-

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • nineeenineee Posts: 41
    I did my first cook on the BGE Thursday.  Easy as pie.  And lousubcap is right.  First 3 cookings or so you should keep at lower temps for the gasket to seal.  I smoked a pbork butt and it was perfect.  Going to do the chicken next and based on above advice, I'll do spatchcock.  nineee
    ·
  • Definitely spatchcock! Easy and delicious.
    ·
  • FiinFiin Posts: 1
    I did a pizza on mine for first use :P
    ·
  • hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    +1 for spatchcock
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
    ·
  • I cooked the Simon and Garfunkel chicken for my 1st cook and it was awesome. The recipe was in the manual that can with the BGE.
    ·
  • I use the vertical rack and set it in a drip pan with chicken stock in it.  The Fresh Market has a really nice poultry rub that I like to use.  350 for about 15 minutes a pound.  Buy a Thermapen and you can pull it when thigh meat is 180 and breast is 160.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472

On a related note-I recall seeing where it is suggested that you keep your first couple of cooks at less than nuclear temps-nothing more than 350-400*F on the dome but don't have a reference.  Welcome and enjoy the journey

Do not worry ove the gasket. Just go cook. It IS GOING TO COME OFF no matter how or what you  do. I have 3 eggs and zero gaskets (you don't have to have them). 50 to 60% of the people have gaskets (have put them back on) and the rest are like me: gasketless.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·