Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

cast iron grates

uncledaveuncledave Posts: 87
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got two cast iron grates for my xl. How do I season them before I cook on them? Any help would be appreciated.

• I used one of my good lodge cast iron skilets to sear a couple of steaks at 800 degrees and de-seasoned it lol. (what tweeve said). Go cook, while I season my skillet.
  • bamafan62bamafan62 Posts: 132
    I appreciate your post.  I was thinking of using my Lodge skillet for doing the same thing.  Thanks!

• Ok I will cook. Do I just brush them off to clean them? I don't ever use soap do I?
  • Ok I will cook. Do I just brush them off to clean them? I don't ever use soap do I?
    No need to use soap...I put my grate on as soon as I start the coals burning. Then I brush to get anything left on the grate from the last cook off. The grate has two surfaces. One is flat makes flippin' burgers easy. The other side is great for leaving those great looking sear marks on ur steaks.

Alex City Al

Alexander City,Al
  • hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    Hot fire will "clean" the CI grate.  I have one and just brush it off just before starting my cook

Another piece of advice that I can offer from personal experience - don't drop that sucker or it will break.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)