Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock chicken ?

fairchasefairchase Posts: 239
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Going to try my first chicken spatchcock style .
Should I go direct or indirect ?
·

Comments

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Direct with a raised grid....

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
    ·
  • I also turns out fine without a raised grid.
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    .... and still good indirect
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • Yep, I cook mine without a raised grid at about 300.  Turns out great.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    The beauty of the Egg...many different means to a fantastic end!
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,462
    Fairchase,

There are only two rules, cook to temp and poultry takes on smoke easily.
    I like the raised direct best for me. The bird is very forgiving.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    Another vote for raised, direct.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473

I like 400 direct and raised. Very little (VERY LITTLE) smoke chips if any.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • fairchasefairchase Posts: 239
    Much thanks!
    Seems direct is the favorite here.
    How much raised are we talking here ? Somewhere around the felt line ?
    ·
  • Yes felt line. I like to mix a little cherry and pecan wood. Just a small chunk of ea. Do two chickens and make the best smoked chicken salad ever.
    ·
  • Can you smoke this with indirect heat like BBQ Chicken? Also, do you brine the bird?

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473

No Brine. Just easy. And I take mine over the felt line on an adj rig.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    Can you smoke this with indirect heat like BBQ Chicken? Also, do you brine the bird?

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ
    The big advantage of the spatchcock is how quick it is, and how moist. It can be done indirect, but the only reason to do so is to avoid any charring from really hot spots in the fire. I usually check every fifteen minutes, and move the bird around if there are hot spots. The bird can be flipped skin down for awhile to get crispier skin, altho' I usually just run the temperature up to 400 - 50 for the last 10 minutes. As usual, some sauce can be brushed on a few minutes before the end.

Even a small amount of wood adds a good smoked flavor.
    ·
  • Thanks Folks,

TarHeelBBQ
    ·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 262
    where can I get the spatchcock receipe?
    ·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 262

Thanks much

I'll try tomorrow

·
  • I cook a spatchcock chicken about once a week. Today I put one on, turned it over about 25 minutes later and then totally lost track of time. When I pulled it my thermapen registered 180 in the breast and 195 in the leg\thigh. I was pretty sure it was ruined but both white and dark meat were moist, tender and delicious. Thanks BGE, made up for my mental error.
    ·