Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question for you boston butters...to trim or not no trim

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
what say you and why?

Cooking my first butt tomorrow morning.

Plan to rub and wrap this evening. 

Should I pull out of fridge 1 hr prior to placement in egg or go straight from fridge to egg?

Placesetter legs up, spacers, dripping pan, grill, meat.

250 degrees .    1.5 hrs- 2 hrs per pound.

take off at proper temperature reading.

foil and wrap in towels for 1 hr or not?

thanks for your advice-

Looking forward to this!!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wait a second here. That is way more than one question. Cut the fat off or most of it. Everything else is OK

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stilllaughing
    Options
    I leave just enough fat on it so that's what is touching the grid. Whatever is touching the grid will stick so I'd rather it be fat than meat.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yeah if you go fat side down. I like completely trimmed. There is enough fat inside. Brisket, I like 1/4" of fat

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stilllaughing
    Options
    Around here people think bark is burnt meat.
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    do y'all put some well-soaked hickory chips on the coals at the start?
  • stilllaughing
    Options

Tweeve,

I'm not new here. I've been on this and the other sight for more than 9 yrs. I just don't use the same handle on both. And I own a bbq business.

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I cut most of the fat off, but leave a little and cook the meat fat up.  The theory is that the fat bastes the meat as it melts away.  I do like the bark/outside meat the best, but the fat is only on the one side and it's gone when it's done cooking.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    Better take it out of the fridge much earlier than one hour prior to cook if you want the Internal temp to rise more than 5 degrees.  I usually try to get mine up to at least 55-60 before cooking and that can take 3 hours or more.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    I like to trim the fat down to 1/4 inch or so because I found that I was discarding a lot of the bark when pulling if the fat was thicker.  I like the bark...so I trim it before putting on rug.

I also sacrifice some cooking time by putting the butt on directly from the fridge after making certain that the fire is burning clean.  The butt seems to take more smoke flavor the if it stays in a cooler temp range longer...but then my cooks almost always take 2 hours per pound...start at 235 grate for a couple of hours, bump it to 250 grate until the meat temp hits 170 or so, then bump to 300 grate to finish it off at 195 internal.

I have pulled immediately after taking off of the egg, and also pulled after holding in a cooler...I don't notice much difference...my personal preference is to pull and eat immediately off of the egg.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Have cooked severals BB's on my old side box smoker - always thought the fat was important to be in place and on the top side.

After getting an Egg, then following the advise on here - I trim every bit of fat off of the outside of a BB that I can.

BB ( fat trimmed) is consistently better than any fat laden BB that I cooked on previous smokers.  

My opinion and obeservation - YMMV.

Cookin in Texas