Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon, best ever

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried using a cedar plank for the 3 lbs. of salmon I cooked last night. I soaked the plank for several hours in water then brushed olive oil on it. Meanwhile the salmon was in the fridge with DP Raging River and olive on it. Brought the dome to about 400 deg and cooked for about 30 min. It was absolutely perfect! I have never used a plank before but I know I will again. Anyone used an alder plank? Do you like that better than the cedar?

Comments

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    kilo,[p]I tried the alder plank with salmon but preferred the cedar. I think the cedar does a great job of eliminating what I think is a fairly "fishy" flavor you find in salmon. I won't eat it any other way as it's typically to "fishy" for me...
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    kilo,
    oh yea,
    love the cedar planked cooking. After I soak my plank usually season it with a little olive oil, kosher salt and fresh rosemary before i put the fish on.

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    SmokinBoB,
    Thanks, that's good to know. I am like you, I love fish but not the "fishy" taste. I will stick with cedar.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    kilo,
    Fresh fish is the best way to assure no fishy taste!
    Glad the rub worked for you.
    Cheers, and happy cookin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    kilo,
    I want to try cedar plank salmon, but the stores arround here that sell cedar planks get $15.00 for a 2 pack
    the planks are about 5" wide x about 10" long and maybe 1/4" thk, the way I figure it that makes the cost more than 60 dollars a board ft. I think that is a little pricey for cedar.
    the only place that I have seen them is at the store where I bought my egg.
    Can you tell me how to get them (cedar planks)a little more reasonable??
    WOuld it work just to go to home depot and buy a cedar board and cut it up??
    thank you
    Glenn