Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time User

nineee
nineee Posts: 41
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I used my large egg for the first time.  When I started, it was misting.  Fired up beautifully, got my wood chunks and pork butt on for a low slow smoke.  An hour later it was pouring rain.  Two hours later, snowing and sticking to the ground.  The Egg is Awesome.  The meat was pull-apart perfect when done.  I'm learning and will tweak my methods.  But for the first use--total success.  I am an Egghead. Yay! Nineee  p.s. Thanks to those who so quickly responded to my question of wood chunks vs chips.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sounds like he's hooked now. So where are the pictures? How long did it take?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Fortunately, I have 4 apple trees and 3 cherry trees on my property, so I'll be in wood for the year. I also have peach, nectarine and persimmon, has anyone used these? What are your results.

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nineee
    First of all I'm a "She" not a "he".  The pork butt was just under 5 lbs and went for 7 hrs.  Neve4r thought of pictures.  Next time.  nineee
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012

Welcome to our world. We do like pictures...... Please note that Griffin is just an old Texas boy and I am sure blushing about now   he he he....    Mam what part of the country are you from?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Congratulations on your first time.  Give us some more details.  What rub did you use? what temp?  what kind of smoke, etc.

Your weather sounds like ours in KY yesterday.  We're "snowed in" with an inch on the ground
    :))
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    First of all I'm a "She" not a "he". 
    Please post pictures.......of the cook!  :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sorry about that, M'am. Mickey is right, I'm just a good ole Texas boy and my face is just about as red as an apple right now. Ninee doesn't really help a guy out in figuring sex. I do apologize. Welcome aboard and congratulations on your pork butt. We do love to see pictures, though, so if you can, take some next time. We'd be mighty obliged. <):)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nineee

I'm in Somerset, KY.  Hey, bluegrasstiger, what part of KY are you from?  I used a commercial rub I bought at a BBQ festival in November since Dr. BBQ, Ray Lampe, told me the big competitors usually just use commercial rubs.  I always made my own when smoking on the Brinkman smoke n grill.  Anyway it is Draper's BBQ A.P. Rub.  My temp was between 250 and 300 and I used Hickory chunks.

OK, I hope I didn't commit some kind of BBQ sin, but though the meat termometer registerd that the butt was done, it didn't seem at pull-apart stage so I took it off the BGE after about 5 hrs, wrapped in in foil and put in a 350 degree oven for 2 hrs.  Then I put the whole foil wrapped thing in a large paper bag, crimped the end and let it sit for an hour. These last 2 steps are from Chris Kimball of America's Test Kitchen.

The brinkmas was given to me this past summer and I was pretty disappointed in it.  I had better results when I did indirect cooking on a regular kettle grill.  I feel like I'm in heaven with the BGE. nineee

• Wow, sounds like you've got everything really dialed in.  Glad to have you around here.

We're in the Bowling Green area.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Have you checked to make sure your meat and dome thermometer are calibrated?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    I just ask because at five hours it was at temp and you stated it wasn't where you would expect it to be. What temp w was the meat at?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • nineee

Hey Gato, The meat had an internal temp of 165.  No, I didn't calibrate the BGE thermometer. I know I should have but it was installled in the store and I couldn't remove it so I just hoped it was right or close.  The meat thermometer is one I've used before and know it's OK.  But I will calibrate the BGE therm. before my next cook. 

bluegrasstiger, Bowling Green is only 2 hrs from here.  Have you been to the BBQ festival in Fountain Run, KY?  I was skeptical because it's such a little town but went last year and the the food was greaat.  I also like John's Grillin' Sauce made by John and Donna Kirk who are in Bowling Green.

Went to Danville's first BBQ festival in November and met Dr. BBQ there.  That was a lot of fun.  nineee 

• Gato
    The thermo is easy to remove, just squeeze the metal clip and slide it out. It is probably ok judging from what you said. I think most people let the butt get more around the 200 range, which would explain why you said it didn't look ready. Thermos are probably dead on. But I would still check.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

For pulled pork you need to get in the 195*F+ (most go to around 200*F) meat temp range.  165*F in five hours is "normal" as you are approaching the stall where the temperature won't rise (and may drop a few degrees) for several hours.  A good rule of thumb is to allow 1.5-2.0 hours/lb at a dome temp of 250*F (+/-).  You can wrap and pack (HDAF and towels in a cooler) if done early.  Once you get through the stall then you are on your way to the promised land.  Welcome and enjoy-

P.S.  I'm from the Louisville area-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.