Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Village idiot

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
The Tojiro 210mm WA Gyutos are back in stock at chefknivestogo. Just ordered one. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshwa21.html

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    What's the story with this knife?  Always looking for something decent and new to try.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Lit
    Options
    Supposed to be a very good knife for the money. It's never in stock for more than a day or 2. Check out the reviews on the link and the reviews arent from people moving up from $60 knife sets they are people with much more expensive knives.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up Lit. Just ordered one myself.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lit, 
    Thanks !.  I requested an email when they came back in stock, and I ordered it when it did.  Got it already.  Not the prettiest knife in the world, but I'm very pleased with it.

I'm actually looking forward to it getting dull, so I can see how quickly a carbon steel blade can reestablish a razor edge.

Thanks again.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get mine.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    It says the blade is carbon steel and should be protected or it will corrode.  Is this similar to the Chicago Cutlery knives I've tried?  They rust with a little water, but the metal is relatively soft and can sharpen up with not much effort?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lit
    Options
    High carbon steel is harder than stainless but will corrode if you use them and leave them wet for a half hour. They will not just corrode over time though if you just dry them after use. They are easy to sharpen with a stone but not as receptive to a steel but they will hold the edge longer than stainless. It's not like the Chicago cutlery that is just cheap soft metal.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Ordered mine last night. Looking forward to trying out something new and different (for me).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Options
    fwiw, there are old carbon steel blades that get quite spotty.  the rust (as long as it isn't structurally significant) is just cosmetic.  i like the rust on these two oldies i rescued from gramma and grandpa's knife drawer.  i think it would be a sin to 'restore' these to shiny bare metal.  the older stuff has a nice patina

[thought i had a pic of the pair. guess not.  here's one, though. ] it will even cut thru a meterorite

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that, or run upstairs and take one...  iphone is crappy and the olympus lns cover is jammed.

as for the dry aged.... dont any-bo-daddy waste your time with the saran wrap trick.  doesn't work. just cut them off as you go and trim that end off if need be.

it might work with better wrap.  mine was 'stretch-tite', which is still oxygen permeable (i didnt know that at the time).  i wonder if it'd work with non-vinyl wrap.  now, i just cut and freeze hem all at once.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante