Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dallas Lump

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know the Elliot's and Barbecues Galore carry Ozark Oak and BGE Brand respectively, but are there any other places in the Dallas area that carry GOOD lump?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Check Out Jacksons over by Love Field (Across from the Flight Museum). I have even found some at Tom Thumb that works really well.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Wally-World carries Royal Oak lump same stuff as the BGE brand but a lot cheaper. around $7.50 a 10 # bag.

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • bhugg
    Options
    Been to 3 Wally's, not one bag.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Kroger brand is same as bge our ro. If you like mesquite, albertsons has the official dallas cowboy lump which ain't bad and cheap. $6.99 I think.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    Options

I saw the Cowboys brand last night, but I figured it would crap out in the fourth quarter.

But 6.99 is a good deal. But I do hope Jerry doesnt profit from me buying charcoal.

As you can tell I am very bitter towards the Cowboys right now, they let me down again.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• bhugg
    Options
    I would really like to find some Royal Oak and try it.  Any ideas where i could purchase a bag?  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Bought some RO at the wallyworld at custer rd and 380 west of mckinney a week ago.
  • bhugg
    Options
    Plano, how much was it and how big was the bag?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    10# bags and $6.40 a bag if I remember correctly.
  • bhugg
    Options
    Just called them. They are sold out.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Griffin
    Options

I saw the Cowboys brand last night, but I figured it would crap out in the fourth quarter.

But 6.99 is a good deal. But I do hope Jerry doesnt profit from me buying charcoal.

As you can tell I am very bitter towards the Cowboys right now, they let me down again.

=))  That is too funny, and yes, I am a life long, born and bred Cowboy fan. I just hate that I love them.

Rowlett, Texas

• PlanoPokes79
    Options

bhugg,

Try the one on coit and 190, I have gotten it there before. Glad I got four bags that day!! I'll give you one of mine if you want to try it.

Joe

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited January 2012
    Options

Wicked Good Charcoal is the best stuff I've come across so far. It's contains a blend of south american hardwoods.  Its extremely hard, heavy, and lasts forever.  Its a little expensive, but you can reuse it over and over. I order it directly from the manufacturer at http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/, and have three 22 lbs bags delivered to my door for around $75.  This stuff lasts three or four times longer then Cowboy charcoal.  Its actually much more cost effective then other brands. The Naked Whiz also gave a great review of the Wicked Good:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag54.htm

Last summer I smoked a butt for 13 hrs on my medium egg with Cowboy charcoal and completly ran out of fuel.  A few weeks ago I smoked another butt for 13 hrs on the medium egg.  Below are the before and after pictures of the Wicked Good Charcoal.  Needless to say, I was absolutely shocked at the amout of charcoal that wasn't even used.  I probably could have gone 18-20 hrs before running out; something I thought was impossible on a med egg.  Check out the pics:

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• ajridge35
    Options

The Wally off Swisher and 35 in Denton carries RO, <$7. I stocked up and bought 6 bags of it not too long ago.

Lovin the Cowboy choke comments.

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Just Got back from Central Market 10 Pound bags for $6.49.  Also you can kill two birds with one stone and pick up a good piece of meat. I always go in that place happy and leave a alot happier and alot poorer.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• bhugg
    Options
    Which central market?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

I went to the one in Ft Worth earlier on the way back to Dallas. I would imagine they would have it at the one over off Lovers and Greenville also. Never been to the Plano one.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I used to go to the CM in plano, but have started going to the southlake one.   Plano has gotten so busy, they arent as willing to do custom cuts.

Still a great store.

Cookin in Texas
  • Griffin
    Options
    Just Got back from Central Market 10 Pound bags for $6.49.  Also you can kill two birds with one stone and pick up a good piece of meat. I always go in that place happy and leave a alot happier and alot poorer.
    What brand? I've used their CM brand before.

Rowlett, Texas

• bhugg
    Options
    All I have ever seen at Central Market is the B&B brand. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

It was the Central Market Brand. I didnt buy it due to 50 Pounds of an assortmant of charcoal sitting in my garage.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.