Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Starters

chill243
chill243 Posts: 131
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
When we purchased our BGE last weekend the seller also sold us BGE fire starters (odorless and tasteless) in cube form.  I noticed no one uses these, what gives? 

Comments

• There are a lot of ways to start a fire on the BGE...and forum members use them all, and everyone swears by their own method...

Personally, a couple of sheets of paper towel with a little olive or cooking oil on them, twisted up a bit and put down in the lump, is easiest for me.  But I also use a propane torch a lot, and recently got a "golf club" from BBQ Guru.

Use the BGE fire starters for a while; then experiment to find what you like best.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I LOVE those little white Weber wax cubes.  I got a box of those BGE starters too when I bought my egg, but have not tried them.  Used my last Weber cube yesterday so will soon find out.  
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I've been using "fat wood" that I was given a bunch of for my outdoor fire pit - however, this last week I bought an electric fire starter at Home Depot - It lights the coals fast with no odor - I'll be sticking with it from now on:

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    The cubes work well. I use two or three at a time in my medium and have no issues. Save yourself some cash and buy the Rutland brand if you can find them. Those are $2.99 for a box of 24 vs $6.99 for the BGE brand.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I use the bge starters. One cube one fire no problems. Weber cubes work also.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I use electric.  No chemicals and quick.  It's convenient for me but if you have no nearby outlet not a good choice.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    I use paper towel to soak up bacon grease and start my egg with them.They work great and are free.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    +1 for the paper towel with oil. It works great.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I used to be a starter cube guy until I tried an electric starter.  Love the electric starter.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    BGElovr mentioned  a box of 24 Rutland starters for $2.99. Checked my box...I paid $7.99 in Mckinney, Tx. Glad I read the post...I'll shop else ware from now on! Or, use paper towels as some mentioned. Thanks.
    Fairview, Texas
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited January 2012

i like the weed burner,  gotta have a reason to use the old proane tank.  I only get crabs to steam once a year.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    This is easy but not to this point:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chill243
    The problem I have with an electric starter is the the weight of the cover will squish the cord and at high temps possibly warp the gasket???
  • chill243

i like the weed burner,  gotta have a rason to use the old proane tank.  I only get crabs to steam once a year.

what is the weed burner?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    The problem I have with an electric starter is the the weight of the cover will squish the cord and at high temps possibly warp the gasket???
    You don't have the lid down when you have the electric starter in.  You put the starter in for 8 minutes, pull the starter out, stir the coals a bit and then put the lid down and wait for clear smoke.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited January 2012

Weed burner is from harbor freight.  less than 20 a little more if you get it with the igniter.

Mickey posted a picture of it above.!

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• cpilot1
    cpilot1 Posts: 10
      I use a looflighter, plug it in and in less than five minutes you have some glowing lump. It's a heat gun on steroids.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I use the BGE cubes, 1 cube broken in two.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I use the BGE starters, got them on sale.  I find 2 work well for a low to medium heat cook on an XL.  If they go out early, they smoke like crazy and I use a set a bellows to get them reignited. 

If I want a fire for steaks, I'll load up two chimneys and get the fire going strong.  I use the side burner on my gas grill to start the chimney; avoids the mess of using newspaper and is about the most use I get out it since getting my Egg.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I use cubes. Split 2 cubes in half and place on four corners of the bottom grate. Oh yeah, buy a high que grate they are much better than factory one with holes. Then start with a small amount of charcoal (bigger pieces first), light and wait a couple minutes, then add more charcoal. I started to buy a Looftlighter, but backed out. Reason being my fire would be ready too fast and cut into my beer drinking. I enjoy the process, so I'm not interested in speeding things up that much.
  • Before anyone points out the obvious. Yes, my Egg is round and has no corners.
  • chill243
    haha, Jonathan!!!
  • Jonathan, I thought I was the only cheap one.. I also cut my fire starters  in half :)) :D
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Jonathan, I thought I was the only cheap one.. I also cut my fire starters  in half :)) :D
    heh... when I used to use the paraffin cubes, I'd break them into fourths (yes, fourths).  And I'd use one full cube, broken into fourths, to start the Egg.  My GF couldn't believe I only used one cube, but I did. 

But now, I use the Bernzomatic Quickfire Torch - it's not only quicker, but a HELLUVA lot more fun (if the pyro in you enjoys playing w/ fire)!!
    :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The torch lighting does have a cool factor that makes me want to buy one, but I don't want to spend the money for it. HaHa. Has anyone tried the electric Looftlighter that I mentioned earlier? That thing blows 1500 degree air to light the coals.
  • The torch lighting does have a cool factor that makes me want to buy one, but I don't want to spend the money for it. HaHa. Has anyone tried the electric Looftlighter that I mentioned earlier? That thing blows 1500 degree air to light the coals.
    Jonathan - I believe a few ppl here use the looftlighter, and are very happy w/ it. 

However, I think if you're concerned about the price of a torch, you're not gonna like the price of the Looftlighter.  I believe if you shop around, you can get a decent small plumber's torch or a weed burner for about $30-40. 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Oil+ paper towel+ chimney = easy well lit coals.
  • Born2Smoke.  I use a chimney as well.  I just use two pieces of newspaper + fire and get easy well lit coals in about 10 minutes.  Heck it is so easy, that I got my girlfriend to do it who has a fear of the flame.  She was amazed about the, light it and walk away aspect.  Her comment was "You mean that is all you have to do?"
  • I use a chimney starter with a few pages of newspaper rolled up in the bottom.  Takes about 5 min to get red hot lump.
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    edited January 2012

Here's what I do.  Gas outlet for grill on my patio is obviously not in use.  Take the flexable hose with a quick-connect that connect a gasser to the outlet.  Put a cut-off valve at the end of it.  Screw on a 18 inch piece of black gas pipe with a cap on the end.  Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the side of the pipe at the end toward the cap.  Turn on the gas, light it, shove it down into the lump for a few.  If I want a really hot fire, I turn the gas all the way up, and shove it in the intake vent, under the Hi-q grate.  Lights off a bunch of lump that way.

Works great.  Cheap,   Gives you something to use the gas outlet and flex hose for. Never run out of gas.

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee