Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder Clod

unit26
unit26 Posts: 53
edited January 2012 in Beef
I have got a 15 pound clod that I am going to cook on my XL BGE.  I have cooked them on other grills before, but this is the first one on the BGE, as I just got the egg from Santa.  I cook these instead of briskets because I find there is less wastage.    If anyone has any clod experience I would love to hear it.  I am just getting into cooking by internal temps instead of look and feel, so any suggestions on internal temp?   I have found the members of this forum are not your everyday grillers so I wait in anticipation for replys.  

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    When you say "Shoulder Clod", I assume you are talking about beef shoulder - a.k.a. chuck roast?

Not many things I like better on the EGG.  My technique is as simple as it gets.  Cover in worchester, apply favorite rub heavily,  cook indirect until it reaches 200-205 internal.  Pull off, wrap in foil and put in cooler with towels for an hour or so.  Then "pull it" just like a pork butt.  Mmmm..Wish I was cooking one of those right now....!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• unit26
    ChokeOnSmoke,

That looks freaking great.   I am pumped now.   Any idea how long to get to 200 to 205?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    I have some notes at home on my last one.  When something turns out good I usually write it down and put it in a folder.  I'll post back when I get home on how big it was and how long it took.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• unit26
    What does wrapping it in foil then in towels do?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    What does wrapping it in foil then in towels do?
    Several things:
    1.) Keeps it hot for a given amount of time (up to 4-5 hours) if your not ready for lunch/dinner yet.
    2.) Allows the meat to redistribute juices.
    Most people will allow some amount of rest period for just about every meat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• So that looks fantastic to me! A couple of more questions for you if you don't mind-
    1. What size chuck roast is that? Bone in?
    2. At what temp did you cook that roast? 250?
    If that is the case, then treat that exactly like a Boston Butt. Can do! This weekend.
    Thanks!
    Chris
  • I did a 22 lb shoulder clod last year on my XL, took 18 hrs to get to 200, but it was worth it. it had so many flavors, brisket, roast, etc....ate on it for a while after freezing some of it. Fun cook, enjoy.

Joe

• I cover the top with bacon before I cook it.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited January 2012
    The last one I did was 10.5 lbs (boneless).  Cooked it at 250 (grid temp) until it reached just over 200 internal which took just about 15 hours.  I like to use PVC coated heat resistant gloves to pull it so you can get right in there and shred it apart just like a pork butt.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• unit26
    This one is boneless as well. I appreciate the info.  I will try to post pics and results after the feed.

Thanks for the help.  
  • unit26
    I am going with the bacon as well thanks.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    I will try to post pics and results after the feed.
    Looking forward to pics and how it goes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• unit26
    Ok guys the 15 pound shoulder clod took right at 12 hours to reach 205 inside temp.  I managed to keep dome temp right about 270 to 280 degrees.  I removed the thing and wrapped it in foil and a towel and left it in a soft sided ice chest for 1 hour.     When I removed it it feel apart in my hands.  I pulled it apart and placed it in the warming drawer on low.     My wife is having a pre Mardi Gra party meeting tonight so the menu is pulled beef, green bean casserole and good cajun rice dressing.    Just as a note I had no difficulty maintaining temp in the egg whatsoever.    I  filled fire ring to about 2 inches over holes and I still have enough charcoal for another long slow cook.   Man I am digging this egg.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited January 2012
    Ok guys the 15 pound shoulder clod took right at 12 hours to reach 205 inside temp.  I managed to keep dome temp right about 270 to 280 degrees.  I removed the thing and wrapped it in foil and a towel and left it in a soft sided ice chest for 1 hour.     When I removed it it feel apart in my hands.  I pulled it apart and placed it in the warming drawer on low.     My wife is having a pre Mardi Gra party meeting tonight so the menu is pulled beef, green bean casserole and good cajun rice dressing.    Just as a note I had no difficulty maintaining temp in the egg whatsoever.    I  filled fire ring to about 2 inches over holes and I still have enough charcoal for another long slow cook.   Man I am digging this egg.
    Great job, glad it turned out!  Anything you'd do differently next time to improve it?  I'm a little surprised at how quickly it finished.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• unit26
    Instead of doing all my honey do's I would have enjoyed sitting by the egg and having a toddie.  That is about all I can think of doing different.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    After reading this post I went to RD and picked up one. Will be doing it on Sunday. It's about 18 pounds.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • unit26
    thechief96,

How did your shoulder clod turn out?
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    It came out very good. I will post pictures as soon as my wife uploads them to phot bucket. I cook she posts pictures. :))
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Inspired by Choke's write up and pictures, I did a 3.5lb boneless one over the weekend.  Used a cajun rub and a dry drip pan.  Took longer than expected, taking almost 9 hrs at 220 - 250 before I decided to bring the egg up to 300* to push the meat over the 200*.  Its definitely the beef equivalent of a pulled pork and so much better than other chuck roast I've had.  Most of the fat was gone, although along 2 seams there was bit that was easily scraped off.  The outsides were so tender, whereas the thickest place in the center that hit just 200* could have used a touch more, so I think I'll aim for 205* next time. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    What kind of wood do you use for smoke with the chuck roast
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited January 2012
    Inspired by Choke's write up and pictures, I did a 3.5lb boneless one
    over the weekend.  Used a cajun rub and a dry drip pan.  Took longer
    than expected, taking almost 9 hrs at 220 - 250 before I decided to
    bring the egg up to 300* to push the meat over the 200*.  Its definitely
    the beef equivalent of a pulled pork and so much better than other
    chuck roast I've had.  Most of the fat was gone, although along 2 seams
    there was bit that was easily scraped off.  The outsides were so tender,
    whereas the thickest place in the center that hit just 200* could have
    used a touch more, so I think I'll aim for 205* next time.
    Yeah, the only thing I do different between the pork butt and the chuck is take the internal up about 10 degrees higher.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• unit26
    I did not use any wood at all.  I just used BGE lump.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    What kind of wood do you use for smoke with the chuck roast
    I'm not very particular about the different kinds of wood I use. I mostly use fruit woods as they tend to be more mild. I just grab a chunk or two and jam them down into the lump.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• This was my first long cook on my egg or anything else as far as that goes.  It looked to good not to try and it turned out great.  15 lb  bottom round roast from Sam's. 

I had never heard of a Clod, but this thing was way to good for an ordinary title like beef roast.

18 Hrs and 203 internal.  1.5 hrs rapped up in foil in my cooler and it fell completely apart.  Put my bacon that I covered it with on top of my meat just for show!  Gotta love the bacon.

I have been lurking around the forum for a while now learning new things.  Have pics, so that means it happened.   Many thanks to all!

!imageimage

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • unit26
    That looks just the way mine looked.  I did not have time for pics, as the party goers were chomping at the bit to eat.   More good meals to come
  • @ ChokeOnSmoke - Where did you get the PVC coated gloves?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited January 2012
    @ ChokeOnSmoke - Where did you get the PVC coated gloves?
    I've always gotten them here:
    http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

...but the other day I saw some that looked the same and were less expensive.  Not sure if they are the same quality or not, here:
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-meat-gloves/

Packerland, Wisconsin