Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I know if my gasket is toast?

D1RTY_D
D1RTY_D Posts: 5
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
First off I think the search function on this forum could be the worst I have ever used.

Now to my question, I am fairly new to BGE but am loving it, I read a lot of posts about changing gaskets but how do I know if I killed it and how would I prevent it from getting toasted?  Any direction would be great thanks.

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    High temps using the placesetter have proven to be problematic for the gasket for me.  I have had my Eggs for over a year and have replaced the gasket on my large once.  I noticed smoke escaping between the lid and bottom and that provoked me to replace it.  I don't know if the replacement is made better (std BGE gasket) but Its been on for 6 months and looks as good as new.
  • Tweev,

Now we can see why Hillbilly put you in charge of the welcoming committee.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Welcome dirty d.
    All I read, everyone is split on if you even need a gasket or not. I do mostly low and slow cooks and my gasket looks like new. I feel it's the higher temps that will kill it. I guess the only way not to kill the OEM gasket is to watch your high temp. There are other sealing methods that can take higher temps as well. In the end, if you can seal off enough air to get the temps you want and you can snuff out any un-used lump, your gasket is still good enough.

Sometimes I will go to sub-levels (Beef, Pork ect) and start my search there.
    Please don't get the wrong idea of the forum people over other posts.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I wasn't saying that to be a ****, I really dont get how the search function works.  I can type in a exact phrase and it gives me results of something completely unrelated.  I tried searching and found lots of unrelated info.  Even if I click on say, Pork and then I search ribs I get lots of unrelated topics.
  • It seems to me the sub levels don't let you search within them, its more of a global search, this is a great community I just with it was easier to find the information I need.

I tend to cook at high temps > 600 is there a best practice to follow when opening the lid to reduce gasket wear.  Currently I burp then open...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Honestly, you're better off using google to search the forum.....just enter eggheadforum before what you're searching for to get results from this site...or leave the eggheadforum part off to search the whole web.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Changing+big+green+egg+gasket#

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think most of them fry or decay quickly. Lot of people using rutland and coltronics gasket. Welcome BTW

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I think most of them fry or decay quickly. Lot of people using rutland and coltronics gasket. Welcome BTW

And nomex gaskets too.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the search fucntion doesn't suck.  it blows.  both forums have search functions which are ridiculoudly poor.  i search the site with google, if that helps.

as for your gasket... tough call.  if it falls off? obviously toast.  but if you can hold temps, the egg goes out without burning too long, you are fine.  (the egg itself will stay warm for a while, but do you keep finding your charcoal burnt completely?  if so, could be a gasket issue.

i replaced both gaskets with a lower-rim only Rutland gasket adhered with hi-temp silicone gasket sealant.  there are other options (BGE offers nomex in addition to the regular wool felt).

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven

And nomex gaskets too.

Have some nomex but never installed them. Didn't look too promising. Eventually I'll install Rutland

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I discovered something about the 'search' function and am wondering if anyone else has too?

After entering a topic and clicking on search ... with the useless results, I noticed another search bar in center, that is much longer. Re-entering topic actually brings up some related posts.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Welcome to the forum and I concur regarding the search function.

You will know that your gasket is fried if you cannot maintain a low temp due to air seeping in.  Also the fire will take a long time to go out when you shut the egg down.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Little Steven
    I haven't had gaskets for years and I can hold 200 all day and all night

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    @LS,

Hey dude,

Hope all is well, do your arms get tired? 
    :-))
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Little Steven
    200* or lower

Steve 

Caledon, ON