Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

firebrick splits what size?

edited 5:59AM in EggHead Forum
Great forum!
New egg on the way! Tring to get the accessories lined up
and I'm almst there.... just need a little help on what
size firebrick would be most useful in the large egg. Thanks for any help. Really looking fwd to this! Phil

·

Comments

• badbrucebadbruce Posts: 353
    Hi NEWEGG,
    I use 2 - 2X4X8 (approx.)cut in half & 4 - 1X4X8.
    I use the half 2X4's to elevate the second grill & the 1X4's for an indirect cook. Pizza stone would prolly be simpler but I never do anything the easy way when I can make it more difficult, just my nature.
    bruce

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,134
    NEWEGG,
    they are relatively cheap, buy a few whole (2x4x8) and a few split (1x4x8). i dont own a platesetter, but those that do may not use the bricks at all

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,607
    IMG_0289.jpg
    <p />NEWEGG, since we don't know where you live let me post yet another alternative. Pictured here is an unused and a well used fire brick which came from Menard's. They measure 4.5 x 9 x 1.25 and come 8 to a box for about $9.00. Don't say you don't need 8 of them as 4 is a nice number and then iffin you think friends will follow your lead in buying BGEs these bricks make "cool" housewarming gifts!!!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    RRP,
    The ones I use are twice as thick as these. About a buck each as well. I found them at a concrete supply place when I was purchasing pavers for the new patio. I went with the larger size because the price difference was minimal.[p]Dennis

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    RRP,[p]These are the size I use. When I do use them, I put 3 on their sides to support a second grate and 3 laid flat on the bottom grate. A drip pan on top is also desireable.
    JimW

·