Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shredded pork tenderloin?

KingRover
KingRover Posts: 115
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello everyone, I am a rookie that really appreciates the discussions on this forum. My wife wants to make this recipe for roast pork with noodles, I am in charge of the pork.

Recipe calls for 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed (I have a 2 lb tenderloin), baked at 425 for 20 minutes, flipped once; after rest, recipes says "shred pork into small pieces."

I was planning on cooking direct, under the felt line (I don't have a raised grid) at about 375 dome until pork temp hits 140. Should I get some fire bricks to raise the grid?

Does pork tenderloin shred? I have had it sliced before, but have never heard of shredded pork tenderloin.

I also don't have a remote thermometer. I was planning on taking the temp with a probe after 30 minutes or so. Combined with turning the pork every 10 minutes or so, is continually opening and closing the lid going to be a bad thing?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A direct cook of a piece of pork tenderloin will go pretty quickly, possibly less than 30 minutes, with a couple of turns. They don't have much fat, and are easy to burn. I'd keep some basting sauce at hand.

Raising the grill will help some, but direct cooks are hot. Not at all like an oven. The side facing the coals at the raised position is close to 600F.

I did sausage that was frozen last night, on a raised grill, direct, and it took 25 min., tops.

I think the recipe means to rip the meat up. It won't be fall apart like pulled pork, but the tenderloin IS tender.
  • There is a great recipe on here for pulled tenderloin. Using a Dutch oven on the egg. It comes out great! Do a search. You will find it
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    First be sure you do not have two one pound tenderloins in the package.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115

Good to know, thanks for the tips folks.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    pulled pork is traditionally done with shoulder, a big chunk of meat.  there are recipes that try to downsize that amount of food, and use tenderloin or a chunk of loin.  yeah, it will shred, any meat will.  though i don't think it will shred in that time (20 minutes, direct) like pulled pork will. 

we used to get 'pulled pork' sandwiches about 15 years ago in boston, and i know now they were tenderloin or loin.  in hindsight, they weren't anything like true pulled pork either.  you cook a tenderloin in a slow cooker til it shreds, and it'll fall apart, but you will need to add sauce in order to add flavor and any 'succulence'.  there's no fat in them.  better (far better) to use a butt.

still, even though tenderloin and loin can be made to shred, it can't be done in 20 minutes.  you'll need to physically shred it, almost like chicken for chicken salad.

i guess it depends what it is you want in the end. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Didn't thirdeye have a recipe for pulled tenderloin?

The Naked Whiz
  • My wife wanted a lower fat pulled pork. I think it was third eyes recipe. You brown the outside cut into chunks. Put into Dutch oven with some liquids for a couple hours shred add bbq sauce AMD cook more.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I know Clay Q had one

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Clay Q, that's what I'm thinking of!  Thanks LS!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    I remember Chris Tredwell (ctredwell) being the first to try it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    by the way.  a big happy birthday to Little Steven.  big 7-0 i believe. 
    enjoy your special day, brother.
  • Little Steven
    Not quite but thanks. I have been trying to keep it quiet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    7-0 in elf years, i mean.

booyah!

• here is the link to the pulled Tenderloin.  this si great stuff. more expensive than Butt, and it keep sthe wife happy.  It will be the best pulled pork some people have eaten.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/875466/x/p1

XL   Walled Lake, MI