Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat wood

Options
burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Someone gave me some fatwood and said it would be fine in the BGE. Anyone use it? Is it ok or will it cause odor?
Not sure if I want to try it.

Comments

• JGIFFORD
    Options

Fat wood is nothing more than pine rossin soaked wood naturally from the heart of a pine tree.  Yes it starts easy but I would not put any evergreen wood in my egg.  That could leave a odor hard to remove, I am not certain but I would not do it.  Get you a mapp or propane torch and be done with it.

• Buckdodger
    Options
    I agree with JGIFFORD fat lighter is not a good idea. 

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Yep. Probably make the egg smell like a christmas tree.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    not so much concern about the odor getting into the egg, but that the stick of fatwood is going to be there still burning long after the egg is lit and otherwise ready to cook on.  which means it will be stinking up the grill just as you are wanting to put the food on.

like the sawdust firestarters that can overstay their welcome, the fatwood doesn't get out of the way quick enough.

the general rule is that if the smoke smells good and clean, the food can safely go on.  you'll find the fatwood stinks up the smoke for a good (bad, actually) long time. 

i gave up on it after the second cook, and used it in my fireplace

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    good in the fireplace, not on the grill.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Fat wood is nothing more than pine rossin soaked wood naturally from the heart of a pine tree.  Yes it starts easy but I would not put any evergreen wood in my egg.  That could leave a odor hard to remove, I am not certain but I would not do it.  Get you a mapp or propane torch and be done with it.

Which is exactly why I won't use cedar planks ... that and the fact it stinks!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah.  we know about you and planks.  other people's opinions don't matter, though.

cedar and fatwood don't leave a smell in the egg, fwiw.  not going to happen, unless you use them all the time every time and in large amounts.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    When I got my BGE I wondered about how to best start the fire - my sister had given me a bunch of fat wood to use in starting my outdoor fire pit - so I started using it in the BGE - I've never had a problem with it - usually, I let the fire burn long enough to burn up the few sticks of fat wood so that it's not a problem - and I've never noticed a taste I didn't want because of it - my only problem with it is that it just doesn't light easily and tends to go out when you stick the sticks down in the charcoal - lately, I bought an electric fire starter and I like it a lot more than fat wood, but not because of any sort of taste issue
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Big no to Fatwood.  I've used it and unless you are very careful, you will find some of it smoldering down in the charcoal long after you want to start cooking.  Nasty stuff.  There are so many better alternatives, I see no reason to use it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Same with planks ... many alternatives to cedar ... but what do I know?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.