Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need quick advice on cooking two chickens (almost 11 lbs total) beer-can style

Options
greeneggsandman
greeneggsandman Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a dual beer-can chicken holder and am cooking one 6.5 and one 4.5lb bird for my parents tonight.  I am obviously trying to show off my new toy.  
I have scanned the prior forum posts and have to admit that I'm unsure whether to cook direct or indirect?
More importantly, I am assuming 350-400 degrees, but how long should I put them in for?  I don't want to keep them waiting for my birds to be done...

P.S.  I have Mesquite and Apple chips.  Any recommendations on which or either to use?

Comments

• stevesails
    Options

direct or indirect will both work. cook till internal is 160.  my wife hates any blood in her chicken, so I have to go  alittle longer for her. hour to our and 20 mnutes. is my normal.  the smaller one may be done first.

I dont use any smoking wood on poultry. the lump gives enough taste for me and my family.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The problem I see is the weight difference. The one bird is rather large, more of a stewing chicken. It will take longer, and there is a reasonable chance that it will be somewhat tough.

At any rate, the beer can chickens I have done have always been nominally indirect, because they are sitting in a pan. Dome 350. About an hour and a half for a standard 4 pound chicken that has been brought to room temperature before the cooking starts. Can go hotter towards the end for crisper skin.

I'd expect the 6+ pounder to take about 45 min. longer, and I'd also expect the skin to be somewhat rubbery.
    Maybe consider quartering the large one so the parts cook faster.

Appetizers are for when the cook is resting the main dish, cutting, and plating.
  • JGIFFORD
    Options

I would forget the beercan and do them half cocked on direct heat, put larger two halves in the center and smaller ones to the outside on a raised grid (gasket level).  They will be just as juicy as beer can chicken.  Qucker and easier.