Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a second egg

Dfrost
Dfrost Posts: 13
edited January 2012 in Root
I am thinking about getting a small egg to go along with my large. Would like to hear from the guys who have two as to how much you use them both ? If you went with a smaller or larger egg? And what you primarily use the second egg for?

Comments

• I have a M, L and XL. If I had to choose which two to keep, and taking in your stated wish that the second one be smaller I would pick the large and medium. The medium is still large enough to cook most things and not all that more expensive than the small. I use the medium to do direct quick cooks like steaks and burgers. We don't have a lot of parties but when guest come over I can cook enough meat on either of those. The medium is also large enough to put things like a pan of beans on.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Better question is what you need the second egg for? I got my second because I needed more space. If you need more space I would get another large plus the accessories are interchangeable. If you want a second egg because you don't always need the space of the large the small is a good choice. Each egg has it's benefits and it's hard to say what would work for you without knowing why you need it. By the way I got my third egg (mini) because I wanted it and my 4th (another large) because I couldn't do chili and cornbread at the same time because the skillet wouldn't fit in my small. I cook on my eggs 3-4 times a week an they all get used. Another nice thing about 2 larges is I have one with a gasket and one without so I can do pizzas and not fry my gasket.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Dfrost - I have been thinking about getting an additional to my XL.  Been between small and medium.  One thing to consider, from what I have been told you can't do a long low and slow on the small because it won't hold enough lump (heard it last 8hrs, not sure if true or not), but you can with a medium.  If/when I get one I believe I will go with a medium.  I suppose it all depends on what you want it for.  
  • Lit
    I did (2) 8 pound bone in shoulders on their side in my small and it held 250 for 13 hours and could have gone longer.
  • IrishDevl
    Interesting, different from what I was told.  That is plenty of time, I was told that you could only do around 8 hrs.  Thanks for that info. 
  • Lit
    Something to know about the small though is it doesn't get near as hot as te other size eggs. With the plate setter in it won't get much over 500-550 and with direct cooking it's hard to get it to 700. My larges, my old medium, and my mini all get much hotter much easier. If you look through old posts I am not the only person that has posted this it's pretty common. The ceramic hole in the egg is bigger than the hole in the bottom metal vent. I have considered taking the bottom metal vent off and recutting the hole.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
     If you want a second egg because you don't always need the space of the large the small is a good choice.
    If that were the reason, wouldn't you be better off just getting some Ang-L brackets?   Does anyone have any reviews of these little gadgets?

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/anglebrackets.html
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have Large, Small,and Mini. 90+% of the grilling is in the mini and large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• IrishDevl
    So Litt, what would be the egg of choice between and small and medium?  Advice appreciated.
  • Lit
    Probably medium. The small uses a little less charcoal and is still small enough that I can pick it up and put it in my car for camping but the medium for sure if you don't plan on taking it anywhere.
  • IrishDevl
    weird that small doesn't get as hot.  Can't understand why, not saying I don't believe it, just weird.
  • Lit
    The air flow isn't as good as the other eggs. I can put a fan up to the bottom vent and get it hot but it won't do it by itself. Pretty sure the bottom vent needs to be llarger.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

My small get hot FAST with this new addition:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Yeah, might need to invest in one of those. did you have the same issue with slow heat up and not getting as hot as other sizes before?
  • Dfrost, go for it and purchase the small.  I used the small last night to cook chili and the large tonight to cook a spiral cut ham.  Soon after you get the small you will find you need a mini (and I have had all three cooking at the same time).  BTW I have never had a problem maxing out the temp my small and temp control isn't a problem either.  

last nights small cook

tonights ham

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Wow I am impressed with those of you who have two,, there must be some pretty awesome meals around your tables. Any pictures of how they are situated, in a table, or do some just have them in the nests? Maybe a ways down the road we might be able to do that. WOW! Pics PLEASE
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I have had my large for over a year and just got a medium the week before Christmas. I found that I needed the medium egg for appetizers, vegetables or desserts while the main course was on the large. Will try to convince my husband that we need a mini before next football season.
  • i have an xl and now a mini...like them both use mini for small items...want another...cant decide betten medium or large...let us know what you decide and how it works out...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    Two larges for me.  LOVE the option to cook at two different temps.  Whichever way you go - GET ANOTHER ONE!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • I have a large and a medium.  I seldom, if ever, use the medium.  I thought I'd use it a lot so I could cook at different temps, but as it turns out, I'll usually cook the main dish on the large (meats and wok stir fry) and cook whatever side dishes on the stove or oven.  ....but that's just me.

I think if I had gotten a mini instead of the medium, I'd use it a lot more.  It's just me and my wife here, and quite often, we'll just eat a steak or a chicken breast.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Lit was right.  What do you need your second for?  I got my second (a large) for bigger cooks and the ability to do sides for meals.  I added my third (a small) last summer.  Interesting enough the small is my most used day to day egg now.  For just my wife and I it is perfect for all things grilling.  

The weekend before Christmas I had all three chugging away with bacon wrapped filets on the small, twice baked taters on large #1 in-direct and the wok on large #2 for stir fried veggies.  I think you can make a case for just about any combination you can dream up.  FWIW I added the High-Que grate to my small and it has really improved the air flow/high temp problems.

Any time I have trouble getting up to temp I just give my Air Grill Bellows a few cranks and viola, molten lava.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE