Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what temp to cook chicken to?

Options
johnzm
johnzm Posts: 7
edited January 2012 in Poultry

I know  that turkey most people are trying to cook the thigh and the breast to different temperatures.

this is also the case when cooking a whole chicken? if so what temps should i aim for?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    According to the U.S. government, 165.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• burr_baby33
    Options
    I like 160 in breast and 180 in leg/thigh.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Options
    all your food will be safe around 140.  after that, it's a margin of safety (to allow your thermometer or technique to be off) as well as texture preference.

I like legs and thighs around 180-200.  they firm up and are still moist, less fatty.  but they are safe at 140.

I like breast meat around 150-155.  but again, safe at 140.

Turkey breast taken off at 155 is incredibly moist. but 150-155 on the egg, means it'll be 160-165 when you carve it. which means the 'pull' temp is 150--155, serve is 160-165

if it is 165 in the egg, it'll be 175 on the plate. approaching balsa wood....  if you let that little red thing pop up, take note it pops around 180, and your meat will be even higher when you carve it.

those 'pop up timer' people have been keeping people safe, and ruining their dinner, for over a third of a century.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jgvcm
    Jgvcm Posts: 2
    Options
    I cook the beer brined chicken to 163 in the breast. I have been told by guests it was perfect.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    I start stickin the thighs with my thermopen when the meat starts pullin up the bone of the leg and it will be close to pulling off
    LET'S EAT
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    "
    those 'pop up timer' people have been keeping people safe, and ruining their dinner, for over a third of a century."   -Too true
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!