Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking sausage

divr71
divr71 Posts: 82
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
What kind of sausage is the best to smoke? I don't want patty sausage i want ring sausage.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012

I like Kobasa Jalapeno Cheddar Beef sausage. Grilled and near end mop on Bone Sucking Sauce or whatever you like. First pic is at a fest and second is home.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I typically make a mix of mild and hot Italian sausages cooking indirect at 350 for about 20 minutes and finishing direct for 5 - 10 minutes to blacken them a bit.  Is there any real gain to slower and longer cook for them?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Unless you are talking about pre-cooked, pre-smoked, and/or cured sausage, you are getting into a very complicated topic. I'm just getting into learning about making sausage and hot smoking and cold smoking and all that.

But I assume you mean the kind you buy at the store? Depends on the area you live. Kielbasa is good as is italian sausage, but my favorite is any kind that has venison in it. And cheese. And jalapenos.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    i'm talking about uncooked sausages (links in a casing) that I get at an Italian Deli.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Try several different types to see what you like ... it's easy to just buy a link or two of each. You'll soon know what you like best!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I started smoking venison, italian, etc sausage this summer.  I usually would smoke at about 275 indirect for about an hour with a drip pan full of water.  Then I would take out the place setter and grill for a few minutes at 350 to char the outside a little.  Turned out great but you need to be careful to avoid drying them out.  
  • TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
    Do you need to pierce the casing to avoid splitting it or does cooking it at a lower temp keep this from happening?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    I cook them direct (no plate setter) but put them around the edge of my XL with lump reducer in so I guess they are "indirect" in a sense.  Flip often so they don't split.  Don't pierce the skin. If the sausage is splitting open, you aren't cooking them correctly.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    @the butcher: never cook a sausage over 160.  meat can't go dry, even very lean meat, unless it is overcooked.

yep, if i am serving guests, i will take the temp of even a 'lowly' sausage
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante