Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracks in Firebox/Firebox Rocking inside egg!

Options
Bayarad
Bayarad Posts: 313
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was cleaning out my large BGE yesterday in preparation for last night's cook and noticed a crack running vertically from the top of the firebox to one of the vent holes, then it proceeded horizontally from the vent hole in both directions across the firebox but not yet to the other vent holes.  Is it better to try and seal it for strength with something like JB Weld or a different product or just keep going until its done and try and get a new one from BGE?  Another issue I noticed is that the firebox doesn't sit level inside the egg and rocks around hitting the inside of the egg when I am cleaning carbon and rub remnants off the grate from my previous cook!  Anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance for any input on either issue.   

Comments

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options

If you can get it replaced under warranty, great. If you can't do that, I wouldn't JB it. The box on my small is broken into 3 pieces but fit together well, much like a puzzle. It doesn't affect the cooking temps at all.

It's odd that your box doesn't sit level on the bottom though. I'd pull it out and make sure that there is no lump or ash stuck to the bottom of the box or inside the base. Just my two cents.

• JGIFFORD
    Options
    Mine has a slight rock and it's brand new
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    The firebox on my 2 year old large rocked noticeably when new. Dealer replaced the FB and replacement did the same. I just live with it. It is disappointing given the price paid.

I also lived with a Daisy wheel and rain cap that rocked noticeably. Solved that one with suggestions to use gasket material on them.

Again, given the price paid these apparent QA defects are disappointing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If you bought it new and there is a crack in it they will replace it. I drove to the Tucker store and handed them my firebox and fire ring and they handed me new ones. If you aren't lucky enough to live close to BGE then call the store you bought it from and they should help you. Will most likely ask for a picture and then process it. If they don't help you the next step would be contact BGE directly because they will replace it for sure. I would not put up with tefirebox rocking I have 4 eggs and my parents have 2 and none of them rock.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    You could always sand the bottom of one leg a little to stop the rocking. As for
    the cracks, your dealer should offer a replacement. You could keep
    using the cracked one and just hang on to the replacement until it
    completely falls apart with out any problems.