Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where's the Beef Ribs??

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't see much talk about beef ribs 'round hya![p]Looking thru Tim's site (getting sidetracked from my work) I again noticed his beef rib section. Man those look great. Yet we hear about beef ribs so infrequently....almost never. Why??? Seems like humpty could perform some righteous magic on those beasts.[p]What type of beef ribs should I buy. I wanna do this!
Might even make a good new back-to-basics challenge![p]Whadyall think?[p]Hey, I'm tryin to work!
NB

[ul][li]Tim's site. select beef ribs from right menu.[/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    06_11_0016_22_01.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy, - your post inspired me - I drove to my local market and picked up the ribs in the picture - don't look all that great, but we'll see what they taste like tomorrow - trimmed them up a little, covered them with rub and put them in the refrigerator to wait for tomorrow afternoon - thank for the idea! [p]Results to follow...

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Nature Boy,
    "where's the BEEF?"....That reminds me of that Wendy's commercial a few yrs back with that woman of the older generation. Not bad of a line that recieved 4 million $$$$$$$$. Sorry ..throwback moment. Disregard and delete this message.
    ST

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]I have cooked both beef ribs and short ribs.[p]My best cook was using the meatiest ribs I could obtain, well trimed of fat. I marinated them for 4 hours in pineapple juice, cooked direct in a rack using a dome temp of 210-220F for 5 hours (turning, flipping once). I used James sauce (sweet/bite, nice) and a light smoke of hickory chips.[p]The problem with beef ribs is the high percentage of fat to meat.[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Thanks. Direct does seem like the way to go. James sauce is very good...suprised it isn't mentioned more often. I cooked up a batch exactly from his latest recipe, and it was killer.[p]I will buy some soon...I think they might even be on sale this week.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Nature Boy,[p]For anybody interested, here is the link to James post of his sauce recipe. It is worth a try.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]James Sauce[/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Spin,
    Sounds very sweet with an after bite.

• Nature Boy
    JJ,
    I really like the sage in it too. Has a very unique twang.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Spin,[p]You're right. The beef ribs have a lot - make that A LOT - of fat per rib. The results are tasty greasy ribs. I like them now and then at best. They seem to do best with a long slow cook at low temps to get rid of that extra grease. Certainly worth a try for those who haven't. I try to get them in a small rack - they seem to slow cook better than already cut ones. [p]Tim[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Gfw,[p]How are you going to cook them?[p]Tim
  • JJ
    Tim M,
    I did some at250* for almost 6 hrs. Removed most of the fat. Still tender and juicy. Even better the next day after I nuked them.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, that's a study for tomorrow! It should be interesting.

• Spin
    JJ,[p]It is sweet and provides a bite at the end of the chew, but also provides a nice balance that is hard to achieve. I make the recipe using ground ancho chili as a substitute for the jalepeno. One quarter the heat and a little more pepper flavor.[p]Spin[p]I do wish that James would [p]

• Spin
    JJ,[p]I agree with your cooking intentions. Beef ribs need to have the fat "melted" away to some degree to be good. None left here to nuke as they provided a lot less meat than their initial size would indicate. Maybe NCMike has is figured out.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Smokin' Todd,
    Yep. One of the classic ads of all time. I loved that ad.
    That ad sold them a bunch-o-burgers it did.
    Remember the McDonalds ad, where you get a hamburger, fries and a coke....and change back from you dollar?? Maybe you aint that old.[p]How 'bout Burger King...."hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, extra orders don't upset us".[p]Don't you get me reminiscing now![p]Later tater
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Gfw,
    The longest I have done mine was 5.5 hrs and they could have gone 6 easy. Longer seems better with them - good luck.[p]Tim

• JJ
    Tim M,
    Brisket on the bone aka beef ribs. They do like the long cooking time.