Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes

Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I mentioned a while ago about not being happy with Royal Oak lump. I live just outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and have not really seen many other brands or options available.

So, if anyone knows of another brand that I can get around here, other than BGE, please let me know.

Also, there is a pit master that I spoke to and he said to use Kingsform Charcoal Briquettes and add some oak wood to it. Can you use briquettes in the egg?

Thanks
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    you can, but they don't work well and create a lot of ash

what's the issue with RO? when all is said and done, charcoal is charcoal, and everything else is hairsplitting.

never met a brand of charcoal that didn't 'work', except those that spit ash.  check to see if your RO is south american.  that stuff is horrible. it will shoot sparks and cover your food with ash.

the american-sourced stuff should be fine. whether it is big or small pieces, it all burns,
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I think that most of the comments that you get here will be to avoid briquettes for a number of reasons.  Clean burning lump is the only way, IMO, to get clean flavor without any potential additives that might be found in briquettes...plus you'll get far longer burn times with lump.
  • Tony S.
    The issue is that she and my daughter say that there is a "fuel"taste to the food. I have never ever used any type of starter or anything in my egg. So, it must be the lump.

The problem here is that all I can find is Royal Oak in the blue bag, or the BGE stuff.
  • You sound like you're an experienced egger..but I have to ask...are you letting the egg stabilize to where the smoke burns clean before starting to cook?
  • Tony S.
    Usually. Sometimes, if I am in a hurry, I will just wait for it to get to temp and then start the cook. That may be part of the problem.
  • If the smoke coming out the top is white, smokey and doesn't smell good, the food won't either.  I would suggest letting the fire go until the smoke is almost clear...then you know all of the bad stuff is gone.
  • Tony S.
    Thanks for the input. I will give it another try and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before putting on the food.

But, when I do burgers, and the grease drips down onto the lump, it produces a lot of smoke. Is this also part of the problem?
  • If you are using new lump wait 30 minutes to burn off the voc's before putting your food on. Otherwise it will taste like charcoal. Besides the ash problem with briquettes, which will clog your airflow you still have to let that burn 30 minutes or it will taste like lighter fluid. You didn't say what you use to start your egg but if you use cubes or oil that also needs to burn off before you start cooking.
  • Tony S.
    I always use my electric starter or my propane torch.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    BGE lump is made by RO.  I have never seen RO in a blue bag.  All red bags in TN.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Tony S.
    I have heard that BGE is made by Royal Oak. But, I have also heard that they have the better quality lump going to BGE. I wish there were some more options for lump here. Maybe a big part of the problem I am having is to do with not letting it clear up the smoke long enough.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    tony, smell the smoke before cooking.  if it is not burning cleanly (especially with a new load of lump) the fuel smell will be evident.

fuel taste and smell on the food is almost always cooking too early on new lump.  with older lump you can cook a little sooner because the VOCs have already been driven off
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    smell the lump like has been said, you will soon figure out what clean burning lump smells like. if your not using the egg regularly it can pick up dampness which makes it take longer for the lump to burn clean, my once a week egg is like that. your in canada? dont waste your time with royal oak or bge lump, maple leaf is the best smelling lump out there, look for maple leaf, if that lump was sold here and widely distributed it would be the number one lump sold in the states
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • As I recall, the RO in the blue bag in Canada is not thought of very highly by other Canadians who have posted about it.  I've also heard the rumor that "BGE gets the best RO", but I've heard from others who might know, that this isn't true.  BGE is indeed made by RO, but it is debatable whether it is better than RO in the Red Bag.

And while I"m on a roll, Royal Oak from South America is (as far as I have been able to obtain) sourced from 3 countries, and the bags are labeled as such.   Argentina was Average, Brazil was Recommended and Paraguay was Below Average.  Not all SA charcoal is bad.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Tony S.
    Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Does anyone know where I can get other types of lump in or around Winnipeg?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    smell the lump like has been said, you will soon figure out what clean burning lump smells like. if your not using the egg regularly it can pick up dampness which makes it take longer for the lump to burn clean, my once a week egg is like that. your in canada? dont waste your time with royal oak or bge lump, maple leaf is the best smelling lump out there, look for maple leaf, if that lump was sold here and widely distributed it would be the number one lump sold in the states

I have to agree
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Does anyone know where I can get other types of lump in or around Winnipeg?

Try Home Hardware, they sell it, so if not in store they could order it in for you. You can also contact Maple Leaf here;  feuillederable@globetrotter.net
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    maple leaf is the best imho, if its still too strong a flavor (which i think is a not letting it burn clean problem more than the lump itself) then try to find a board scrap type lump but its getting really hard to find these types of lump. cowboy was always underated, board scraps are hated in the lump community, they changed lately and started adding regular lump, tastes like a bitter pine, they are ruining that lump. quick joe was another scrap board lump, i used to order it by the pallet thru the local hardware, they changed that one ten years ago, it still burned clean but wasnt the same. wicked good comp blend was the cleanest burning lump, thats been changed to wicked good weekend warrior, not as clean burning or long burning. maple leaf has a lump flavor, but its got a nice sweat flavor, alot different from oak type lumps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    edited January 2012
    Rona sells Maple Leaf. Do you have Rona in Winnipeg?

Yes the RO bag in Canada is blue and it doesn't have anything to indicate where the wood comes from. Crappy Tire sells RO and so does Lowes and Walmart.

Do a Google search for BBQ supplies in your area. Many pool and fireplace stores sell BBQ stuff. You could also try restaurant suppliers too. One of the big ones here in Toronto sells ML.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I've been buying 20 lb bags of Mesquite lump at Sam's - brand is "Best of the West" but who knows who really makes it - anyway - not much small stuff - lots of large pieces and has a great taste - after using lump I will never go back to the old stuff (briquets) 
  • I use the Blue Bag in my Egg when I'm out of RO. I haven't had any issues with it. I also dont minion it (which is where the 'taste' usually comes from) when going from unlit, to lit. I usually get the coals set, then pour in. I have noticed that there's a backlash from the traditionalists about using it though
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

No F'ing way! That would be sacrilegious 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Biriquettes were an emergency go-to on my old Weber.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Briqs can be used, but not recommended because of the load of ash they produce.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • middlec
    middlec Posts: 1

We are just getting started and wonder if we need to store the charcoal in something airtight?

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    middlec said:

We are just getting started and wonder if we need to store the charcoal in something airtight?

No. Even if it gets wet, it will dry out.
  • Go for the Maple Leaf maple lump that is made in the Great White North.

Light in whatever manner you want, and let it roll for 30 min.  Try to stabilize at your desired temp towards the end of that 30 min.

@stlcharcoal is correct, as long as you keep it from swimming, it'll dry out eventually.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• You can toss in a couple handfuls of the original kingsford briquettes into the coals if you are having difficulty getting a smoke ring.

http://old.cbbqa.org/wood/Kingsford.html
    Gittin' there...
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

If you can find a cherry tree that has been cut down or pruned at least, or oak, apple or other similar tree that grows in your area, you can actually make your own charcoal.  Burn the wood down in a hole in the ground, and cut off air once the resin burns out of it.  I know this  involves some labor, but in AZ, mesquite and pecan grow like weeds and I've been making some really good homemade charcoal blends

after I got my first BGE I stopped going to the propane refill places, and now that I've figured out how to make my own charcoal, well, I am grillin' for free!  Love it!  I also never run out of fuel- no matter the cooking requirements

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    You can toss in a couple handfuls of the original kingsford briquettes into the coals if you are having difficulty getting a smoke ring.

http://old.cbbqa.org/wood/Kingsford.html

Why would that help with a smoke ring? Read the link you posted, as well...
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax