Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

22 Hour Whole Pork Shoulder..Picture

thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
This picture was loaded directly from my computer

When I can, I much prefer cooking the whole shoulder instead of a bone butt

Mixing the two types of meat on the whole shoulder, I think gives the meat a much better flavor

In some areas the shoulder is called a New York shoulder

I have a couple of suppliers where I can order this hunk of meat
PA216984.jpg 350.7K

Comments

• UGAVETUGAVET Posts: 577
    Very nice
  • 1st51st5 Posts: 14
    edited August 2011
    Nice. I do the same with my wild boar shoulders. I have two waiting in the freezer for my wife's 40th birthday party. How much does that one weigh?
  • This one weighed 18lbs
  • Looks good
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Looks great... Almost made me lick my screeen! :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • LexLex Posts: 6
    22 hours at what temperature? 225º?
  • yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 195
    In the pas I have purchased my pork shoulder from Costco. There are 2 roasts in each package. Do those 2 pieces make up the entire shoulder? Is one the shoulder and one the butt? I too noticed a favorable difference in flavor and meat texture when cooking them over say a 7.5 lb shoulder I get from my local butcher.
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Those 2 pieces are both boneless Boston Butts.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • i cooked four boston butts.2 packages of them this fall to feed the trombone section at U of M. they came out great. costco butts are the best.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    enough "to feed the trombone section"

hey, pal.  family forum, here.   mmmm'K?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,358
    In the pas I have purchased my pork shoulder from Costco. There are 2 roasts in each package. Do those 2 pieces make up the entire shoulder? Is one the shoulder and one the butt? I too noticed a favorable difference in flavor and meat texture when cooking them over say a 7.5 lb shoulder I get from my local butcher.
    No the shoulder is comprised of the butt and the picnic and sometimes the hock. I agree it gives you the best pulled pork. Cosco sells two butts in a single package

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wow... so much to cook... so little time.
    BOOMER!
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,358

Man,

I'm Canadian and never knew any of this stuff until I got on the forum.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON